Better City for Training/Early Career Veterinarian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClimbsRox

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bit of an unusual post, but I am looking to get input from people with experience.

My partner is a second year veterinary student in the midwest and I am currently faced with a decision about where to matriculate as an MD/PhD student. When she completes school she will be following me to whichever city I decide to land in. My options are good whichever school I choose, soI am hoping that I will be able to matriculate somewhere with good opportunities for her as well.

Her plan, as of right now, is to complete a small animal rotating internship and is possibly interested in working with exotics.

Our options are San Diego, Nashville, and Baltimore.

Pros/Cons

San Diego: Lots of internships (maybe more competitive?), but further away from home
Nashville: Some internships, closer to home, but not our first choice place to live
Baltimore: Very close to home, but limited number of internships and would have to commute out of the city for internship

If anyone has any experience training or being an early career vet in any of these cities, or some insight we maybe haven't thought of, that would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe a bit of an unusual post, but I am looking to get input from people with experience.

My partner is a second year veterinary student in the midwest and I am currently faced with a decision about where to matriculate as an MD/PhD student. When she completes school she will be following me to whichever city I decide to land in. My options are good whichever school I choose, soI am hoping that I will be able to matriculate somewhere with good opportunities for her as well.

Her plan, as of right now, is to complete a small animal rotating internship and is possibly interested in working with exotics.

Our options are San Diego, Nashville, and Baltimore.

Pros/Cons

San Diego: Lots of internships (maybe more competitive?), but further away from home
Nashville: Some internships, closer to home, but not our first choice place to live
Baltimore: Very close to home, but limited number of internships and would have to commute out of the city for internship

If anyone has any experience training or being an early career vet in any of these cities, or some insight we maybe haven't thought of, that would be great. Thanks
I did some teching and experience in Nashville many years ago. I think you'll be fine in any city. Nashville is probably the most limited in terms of stable exotics experience (there aren't a ton of opportunities as knoxville has the vet schools that works with most of the programs), but she should be able to find it there, too.

Personally I'd think that it would be easiest to go where there are the most options for her to do her internship, that way she can actually feel out the different places and still be able to rank them based on her preferences, instead of being locked into one or two due to location. Plus SD has the best weather of all of those places.

I think you should pick a place wherein you have a lot of options to choose from. It doesn't matter if it is far away from home since you guys are building a future together. The more opportunities are the better.