better essay post-submission, what to do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eunice

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suggestions?

I submitted my AMCAS application 6/28, and worked on my TX apps after. The TX question helped me to focus more on my goals and visions as a future doctor and the essay turned out much better (if anyone wants to read it and the AMCAS version and give me feedback, i'd love it! please PM me! or email me: [email protected])

What should I do? Should I send the essay to the AMCAS schools along with the secondaries? or should I wait until I get waitlisted and send the essay then?

I know they already have WAY too much stuff to read, so would they just chuck my 2nd essay and get annoyed w/ me??? haha..
And what should I say when I send it? "I wrote a better essay, please read this one too?" ???
any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!!!
thanks!!!
:love:

eunice

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the secondaries will have open-ended essays or even ask to add anything that might make the admissions committees evaluate you as a candidate. I think it would be appropriate to include the essay there. However, if the essay is just a re-worded version of your original personal statement, I wouldn't use it. It probably is not very smart to send something too similar to your personal statement.

thanks for your opinion..
so the 1st 3 paragraphs of the new version is the same, but the last 2 paragraphs are totally different.
should i not send it??
should i just send the new part? i think it can stand on its own.
thanks for any suggestions!!

eunice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Eunice --

I'm afraid I don't have any advice to give, but I am in the exact same situation you are. Don't want to burden an admissions committee with extra paper, but don't want to sell myself short, either. My plan right now is to add the additional essay if the secondary app is short and asks only a small, specific question, or if the application welcomes any additional information.

i wouldn't send it.
it just looks like you didn't put in enough thought, the first time around.
it's submitted, don't worry anymore.

work on the secondary essays now and don't look back.

You'll have the chance to incorporate the new info in your 2'ary essays somehow, don't worry about the primary anymore.

Keep the good last two paragraphs for secondaries, especially the "is there anything you wish to add" questions. You may need to attach a different first few sentences/paragraphs (depending on the length).

Thank God I took a little extra time to revise my PS a couple extra dozen times - in the few days before I submitted I totally changed my ending and opening paragraph a couple of times, and am really glad I did.

throwing in an essay onto their piles of paperwork is not good when it isn't requested. it just might end up getting thrown out. so follow the other's advice and put that extra info into the secondaries.

2nd guessing yourself is a part of this process. as a doctor you'll face the same thing. sometimes you gotta make a decision and stick to it because it's the best one you've got.