Better off applying competitive (OOS-not-so-friendly) or slightly competitive (OOS-friendly)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CloverBale

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I plan on applying to maybe 1 or 2 more medical schools, and I wasn't sure if a better strategy was applying to schools I'm slightly competitive at (my MCAT is 511, GPA 3.7, California resident) like Mayo (3.8/513, OOS 92%matriculants) and Tufts (513/3.7, OOS 72%) VS applying to Arizona (506/3.7 OOS 33%) or Utah (510/3.6 OOS 30%)?

My school list so far:
Albany Medical College (63%) 510
Drexel (63%) 511
Quinnipiac Netter (81%) 512
Indiana (26%) 510
Wright 508
NYMC (67%) 512
Wayne 508
Pennsylvania State 509
Chicago Medical School-Franklin (52%) 511
Tulane 511
Saint Louis 512
UC Riverside 508
Virgina Commonwealth 511
UC-Irvine 512
Wake Forest 511
George Washington 511 (90%)
Oakland 507
Jefferson Kimmel 512
Rutgers Johnson (21%) 511
Oregon 510
Loma Linda
Loyola 507 (64%)
Georgetown (98%) 512
Temple 512 (61%)
Rush 512
Vermont 512
UCLA Geffen 508
USC
UC-Davis 509
West Virginia 507 (50%)
Northstate
MC Wisconsin (58%) 510
East Virginia (50%)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
URM, gender, trad/non trad would help in this evaluation

Delete the following, as they will be donations.

Indiana (26%) 510
Wright 508
Wayne 508
UC Riverside 508 (KEEP only if your are from the Inland Empire)
Oregon 510
Loma Linda Keep only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian

Under no circumstances can I recommend CN"u" or Penn State.

And for the rest of you, if you have MSAR, fro God's sake look at the IS/OOS numbers carefully.

It's not merely the % of OOS, it's how many OOS apps vs how many accepts! State schools favor the home team and thus, you have to be > avg for OOS state schools.

Delete the following, as they will be donations.

Indiana (26%) 510
Wright 508
Wayne 508
UC Riverside 508 (KEEP only if your are from the Inland Empire)
Oregon 510
Loma Linda Keep only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian

Under no circumstances can I recommend CN"u" or Penn State.

And for the rest of you, if you have MSAR, fro God's sake look at the IS/OOS numbers carefully.

It's not merely the % of OOS, it's how many OOS apps vs how many accepts! State schools favor the home team and thus, you have to be > avg for OOS state schools.

Thank you so much for that! I've definitely been checking out how many OOS acceptances..I went a little nuts when I first applied because I had such a low MCAT score. I'm weaning off a few schools and wanting to replace them instead (I'm just paranoid I won't get in anywhere). Any I should add from the list below? For some reason Wisconsin and East Virginia never sent me a secondary and it's been a month.

Utah
Maryland
Colorado
Tufts
Mayo

I'm guessing I should ignore:
Cooper Rowan
South Carolina Greenville
Central Michigan
Central Florida
Louisville
Nebraska
FIU Herbert Wertheim
Minnesota
Michigan State

My main concern is, am I more competitive at a school that takes more applicants OOS but has a higher MCAT average (like Tufts, Mayo), or at a state school that accepts about 25% of their OOS but I'm much more competitive at?

Last edited:
Try these:

Tufts
Mayo

And yes, ignore these:

Cooper Rowan
Central Michigan
Central Florida
Louisville
Nebraska
FIU Herbert Wertheim
Minnesota
Michigan State

State schools that take OOSers are taking those with honest-to-Gawd ties to the state, perhaps people from neighboring states, are URMs or for some other compelling reason...or are superstars.

My main concern is, am I more competitive at a school that takes more applicants OOS but has a higher MCAT average (like Tufts, Mayo), or at a state school that accepts about 25% of their OOS but I'm much more competitive at?

Reactions: 1 user
Try these:

Tufts
Mayo

And yes, ignore these:

Cooper Rowan
Central Michigan
Central Florida
Louisville
Nebraska
FIU Herbert Wertheim
Minnesota
Michigan State

State schools that take OOSers are taking those with honest-to-Gawd ties to the state, perhaps people from neighboring states, are URMs or for some other compelling reason...or are superstars.

You are a true blessing--thank you :)

Reactions: 1 user