Better on actual test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmsgolfer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just checking to see if anyone has done better on the actual exam compared to their practice tests.

Members don't see this ad.

There are people who do better on the actual exam. Unfortunately I think the trend is that most people do worse... I just took the June.15th, and I know I definitely did worse.

I did about 3 points better than my avg on practice exams. I think it really depends on what kind of person you are, whether you thrive under pressure, etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
I got higher...:rolleyes:

Test anxiety is the big killer. I really think the important thing (even more so than actually studying) is figuring out effective ways to relax yourself before/during the test.

I did better on the actual test. I don't get test anxiety though so that might make a big difference. I went in very comfortable and not stressing about it. That always seems to help me in most tests so assuming you can do the same thing than maybe you'll do better.

I definitely agree with the above posts: don't panic! The week before the exam is crucial for thinking positive thoughts and de-stressing :cool:

I scored +2 from my AAMC average (i took all 8) and +1 from my overall average (which includes 5 kaplan tests)

I also was just a few points higher then my average practice tests. I have terrible test anxiety, but I think I took the perfect amount of practice tests for myself so I was not TOO anxious going into the test, but it actually helpe me focus the entire time.

I hit right on my average. My practice tests ranged from a 29-35 (Kap 1-3 and AAMC 3, 6-10). My real MCAT was a 32R. The main difference I had was that my verbal was more in line with my Kaplan scores, where I would get a 9-11 while on the AAMC I would get a 12-15. My real verbal was a 10. I thought the verbal was straightforward, but I clearly was missing something on the real thing. The science score were in line with both AAMC and Kaplan.

I definitely agree with the above posts: don't panic! The week before the exam is crucial for thinking positive thoughts and de-stressing :cool:

I scored +2 from my AAMC average (i took all 8) and +1 from my overall average (which includes 5 kaplan tests)

Could you suggest some positive thoughts? I seem to have run out of them.

Could you suggest some positive thoughts? I seem to have run out of them.

I can try! Here are some of my thoughts heading into the week of the test:

-Yes practice tests have been helpful but it doesn't mean my fate is sealed! That MCAT has yet to be taken, and it's up to me to do my darnest to score that 45! (I didn't want to limit myself to my practice test score range....didn't want to say, "well, the best I can do is probably around a 35 etc.")

-When it comes down to it, the MCAT is only ONE test and only ONE measurement of your potential of becoming a great physician...so don't put too much weight on it. Think of everything else that you've got going for you!

-NEVER think about the negatives...especially within 2-3 days of the test...so banish thoughts like "man, I wish I knew____ better. geez, I'm terrible at _____" These thoughts are NOT helpful and will only reduce your confidence.

-Focus on :)your strengths! When you feel nervous, remind yourself of what you know very well.

-Force yourself to smile...do it as much as possible. You will automatically appear and feel more confident.:laugh:

-Carb-load or enjoy your favorite dessert :hardy:

-Lastly...believe that you were meant to be a doctor, this is your calling, and no 5-hr test is going to stand in the way of your dream :luck: goodluck!

I can try! Here are some of my thoughts heading into the week of the test:

-Yes practice tests have been helpful but it doesn't mean my fate is sealed! That MCAT has yet to be taken, and it's up to me to do my darnest to score that 45! (I didn't want to limit myself to my practice test score range....didn't want to say, "well, the best I can do is probably around a 35 etc.")

-When it comes down to it, the MCAT is only ONE test and only ONE measurement of your potential of becoming a great physician...so don't put too much weight on it. Think of everything else that you've got going for you!

-NEVER think about the negatives...especially within 2-3 days of the test...so banish thoughts like "man, I wish I knew____ better. geez, I'm terrible at _____" These thoughts are NOT helpful and will only reduce your confidence.

-Focus on :)your strengths! When you feel nervous, remind yourself of what you know very well.

-Force yourself to smile...do it as much as possible. You will automatically appear and feel more confident.:laugh:

-Carb-load or enjoy your favorite dessert :hardy:

-Lastly...believe that you were meant to be a doctor, this is your calling, and no 5-hr test is going to stand in the way of your dream :luck: goodluck!

Thank you