Better residency opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyecon82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are 4 graduates with the same USMLE score.... all 4 attending SGU, Ross, AUC, and SABA respectively. Assuming all other variables are equal, which student would have a better opportunity to score a more competitive residency...stricly based on the school he/she graduated from? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are 4 graduates with the same USMLE score.... all 4 attending SGU, Ross, AUC, and SABA respectively. Assuming all other variables are equal, which student would have a better opportunity to score a more competitive residency...stricly based on the school he/she graduated from? Thanks

99% of the time... No difference..

You can however argue that one university prepares you better than the other to get better scores.... but all factors equal (LoR, USMLE, GPA/Rank) then the program wont care 99% of the time.

I know first hand that SGU has much better connections are far as getting a good match and their grads have a easier time overall. A good friend of mine graduated from SGU a few years ago and landed a EM spot of his first choice. He's what finally pushed me over the edge to go and get my MD. Second is Ross, they have great connections and beat SGU in some areas like Texas. I can't think of too many SGU grads in Texas whereas there's a crap load from Ross. Tied for 3rd I'd say Saba and AUC. AUC has really fallen off in all areas as of late and this includes with clinical placements that eventually lead to a good match. Saba is up and coming but doesn't have the near the number of SGU and Ross grads out there. Since Saba only takes around 60-70 per class and SGU and Ross have 300-400 each, Saba is never going to turn out the number of that kind of number. So what Saba is pushing is quality not quanity and hoping the grads that are out make the school look really good. The school is 100% focused on the step1 and pushing the scores as high as they can go and getting the grads the best spots they can get. I only hope I can live up to what these grads are getting which are around 230, 240, 250. Frankly I'm in shock and awe over how well some of them have done and hope I can get above a 200.

Members don't see this ad :)
99% of the time... No difference..

You can however argue that one university prepares you better than the other to get better scores.... but all factors equal (LoR, USMLE, GPA/Rank) then the program wont care 99% of the time.

That's not the question. If equal step1 scores and stats from all 4 schools, who has an easier time getting a residency? If you think Saba grads are on par with the others you been smoking on that pipe once again. 1st off not too many directors know of Saba at all whereas SGU and Ross they know. So if a program director was looking over some grads of these schools with all equal stats they are going to take the SGU or Ross grad 1st. Why? Most likey they have known or worked with one in the past. Also they know that SGU is a great school whereas Saba they haven't heard of or know any grads. So why would they take a chance with Saba grad when they already know what the SGU grad will give them? Please put down that PIPE!:laugh:

I certainly respect the question and what seems to be behind it. You probably want to know how it is going to affect your future. There are too many variables to give you a direct answer. Chances are, you nor anyone else will encounter this situation. But, let me just say, you are going to have more than enough opportunities to prove yourself and impress folks in the caribbean and the US medical system. I'm sure you are going to be a great student and a very hard worker. You always have a chance.

I just want to state for the record, all this crap about what school so and so comes from is going to make a difference, it a load of dung. If you are great at medicine, you can graduate from a medical school holding classes in a teepee. It does not matter! You can say it does all you want. You can believe that nonsense if you want. But, at the end of the day, it does not matter at all. People have been doing and will continue to get what they want regardless of their medical school background. Just work at being a great doctor, and the rest will take care of itself. You can attain whatever you want. That is not delusion; that is a fact. Ask any "long shot.":)

duplicate post, sorry.

I know first hand that SGU has much better connections are far as getting a good match and their grads have a easier time overall. A good friend of mine graduated from SGU a few years ago and landed a EM spot of his first choice. He's what finally pushed me over the edge to go and get my MD. Second is Ross, they have great connections and beat SGU in some areas like Texas. I can't think of too many SGU grads in Texas whereas there's a crap load from Ross. Tied for 3rd I'd say Saba and AUC. AUC has really fallen off in all areas as of late and this includes with clinical placements that eventually lead to a good match. Saba is up and coming but doesn't have the near the number of SGU and Ross grads out there. Since Saba only takes around 60-70 per class and SGU and Ross have 300-400 each, Saba is never going to turn out the number of that kind of number. So what Saba is pushing is quality not quanity and hoping the grads that are out make the school look really good. The school is 100% focused on the step1 and pushing the scores as high as they can go and getting the grads the best spots they can get. I only hope I can live up to what these grads are getting which are around 230, 240, 250. Frankly I'm in shock and awe over how well some of them have done and hope I can get above a 200.

Thanks for your honest opinion. I appreciate it.