Betty Ford Summer Institute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Betty Ford has a summer institute for medical students interested in psychiatry (specifically addiction). Has anyone participated in this program? Is it competitive? Is it worth doing? They pay your way for 1 week in Palm Springs so I know it wouldn't be all bad, but please elaborate if you have experience with the program.

Members don't see this ad.

The deadline for application was March 21st, so it may be a moot point. But I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did it a while ago. Not competetive. Fun if you like rich addicts and alcoholics (I did). Just watch out for all the second hand smoke.

Normal day ends at......? Anything fun in the area you would recommend doing? Would you do it again?

I participated in the BFC summer institute between my MS3 and MS4 year. I really enjoyed the program. I don't know about the competitiveness since I was accepted to the program, and never really talked with the other applicants about the perceived difficulty in getting in. If you are new to the world of addictions, this is a great eye-opening experience. It is part of the reason why I eventually chose to go into psychiatry. Additionally, I talked about this on interviews, as they always like to see "unique experiences." For the most part in the evenings everyone was pretty bushed from a full day; towards the end of the week we all went out to downtown Palm Springs (some of the students drove from other places in Cali, so we carpooled). The evening before you leave you have free to go out with the other students. With the nature of the program, everyone is supposed to keep the week "dry"; I think our group did, esp since one of the participants was in recovery. We had a few drinks on the last night before everyone went home. I would highly recommend this experience. I was on the inpatient. The impaired professionals program would have been good to see as well since there were many physicians and it gives you a different perspective.

I'm going to be at BFC July 13-19th for the program and am really excited. Anyone else going? My only worry is the heat... I'm from Northern WI, hence I like the cold and am pasty white haha. Think I'll stick out?:D

Anyone who's been in the past spent some extra time there going to Joshua Tree or anything? I figure I might try to spend a couple extra days but need to decide soon before I get my plane ticket!

This does look pretty darn cool. Also, I think it would help me deal with my fears of treating people with addictions.

What are you afraid of?

My main concern is that I will not be able to empathize with this group of patients as well as I would like to. Hopefully all that will change when I learn more about how the brain affects addiction and/or how addiction affects the brain.

My main concern is that I will not be able to empathize with this group of patients as well as I would like to. Hopefully all that will change when I learn more about how the brain affects addiction and/or how addiction affects the brain.

Well you've already identified yourself as an SDN addict, so you're on the way to learning empathy. ;)

Have you ever tried to cut down on your SDN use?
Are you annoyed when people bug you about SDN?
Do you feel guilty about the time you spend on SDN?
Do ever need an "eye opener" of SDN?

Seriously though, perhaps you've been lucky enough in the genetic lottery to not have a family history predisposing you to substance dependence, and perhaps your own use of alcohol, caffeine, or other substances has never given you trouble. I think that you might still be able to understand that we're all only a couple of bad choices or bad bounces away from a problem.

I'd recommend that you rent the HBO film "Addiction" to see some profiles of real people with substance abuse problems. They really aren't all that different from you or me.

Actually OPD it is exactly opposite. And from my personal experience with people with addiction I felt like they didn't really want to get better. So do you feel like most of your patients suffering from addiction do want to get help? Which I'm guessing that this would depend on what type of practice you are in.