BGU admission question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsbqb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am very interested in attending BGU. I absolutely LOVE the emphasis on international health as that is how I intend on spending my career.

However, my undergrad GPA is pretty poor. I did the MA in Medical Sciences at Boston University. That is a program where you take most of the first year med school classes to prove to admissions committees that you can do well in med school. I did alright in the program. In all the classes I either passed or exceeded the level at which the actual med students were performing.

I have not taken the MCAT yet.

So my question is, will BGU look at my BU grades and take them into consideration? Also, I spent a summer in Uganda doing volunteer medical work and my masters honors thesis was about improving trauma surgery delivery in developing nations. Do you think that BGU will take my experience with international work into consideration?

Thank you so much! I realize I probably sound worried, but that is only because I would absolutely love to attend BGU and I am just not sure of my chances. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am familiar with your situation, as I was a medical student at BU for my first year and then decided to get a masters in neuro

then i reapplied out here for the same reasons, (intl health oh and not paying 37,000 dollars a year to sit in that same auditorium) p.s. Dr. O'Brian is still my favorite physio teacher, no other teacher has ever called me stupid like the way he did

anyways to your question, BGU looks at everything you give them to look at so i think it is better to be well around than to have only a few strengths and lots of weaknesses

on the other hand, this is not the school to apply to because you cant get in anywhere else, I know other medical schools training IMG's have that stigma Carribean Mexican and some European, but the standards of education parallel or are even better in some aspects then those in the states

you are getting an excellent medical education in addition to cross cultural education, global medicine awareness, a foreign language that you have to learn to communicate with patients, and clinical skills of which I know for a fact far outshine what is taught in the states,

so you have to be on your game, the average MCAT score of the past 3 classes has gone from 27 to 30 , and thats in only 3 years
the school only takes between 45-50 people but gets about 1000-1500 applicants

so do your best, but dont worry it sounds like you can make up for average grades with research experience volunteer work and a decent MCAT

izzy