BIDMC vs UChicago vs Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous56

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m interested in people’s thoughts on these programs, as they all seem to be mid-tier academic-oriented programs. I’m am mostly considering an academic career, and I want to have geographic job mobility post-fellowship (i.e. I will likely apply for jobs all over the country when I’m done).

Also I have no interest in IR, and will likely be doing neuro for fellowship. Anyone have any ideas about how I should rank these programs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since they aren't significantly different in terms of reputation, I would suggest picking based on your preferred location. That being said, when I applied last year, I liked BIDMC the most out of the above. It was one of the few places on the East Coast that still had independent resident call (not sure if this has changed), I liked Boston more than Chicago and New Haven, PD seemed to be very supportive and residents were happy to be there, and if you're interested in Neuro it would probably give you a great shot at going to MGH/BWH for fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since they aren't significantly different in terms of reputation, I would suggest picking based on your preferred location. That being said, when I applied last year, I liked BIDMC the most out of the above. It was one of the few places on the East Coast that still had independent resident call (not sure if this has changed), I liked Boston more than Chicago and New Haven, PD seemed to be very supportive and residents were happy to be there, and if you're interested in Neuro it would probably give you a great shot at going to MGH/BWH for fellowship.

Thanks for your input. The impression I'm sort of getting from doximity, SDN/AM forums, is that there is possibly a bigger gap in reputation between BIDMC and UChicago, Yale (i.e. BIDMC >= Yale, UChicago). Does anyone else think this might be the case?

It's been a while since I was a resident, but I have a somewhat negative perception of BI as being the Fredo to MGH (Sonny) and the Brigham (Michael) as far as the Harvard family goes. But I guess they're all Corleone's. I trained in Boston (non-Harvard residency) and one (slight) negative there is that there are many training programs and universities for a relatively small population. I came to realize this when I went to the Midwest for fellowship. I think you end up seeing more pathology in other cities where there isn't an oversaturation of hospitals/physicians.

This is all being nitpicky though. All 3 programs have fantastic reputations and you can't go wrong however you end up ranking them.

If it was me, I'd go UChicago then BIDMC, then Yale. But that's based entirely on the cities themselves. I'd much rather live in Chicago or Boston than New Haven.

Also, Doximity is the worst thing to happen to the Match... ever. Don't even bother looking at it.