Big Blue Audio (Revisiting)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillwater45

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this has been talked about a great deal in the past, but I haven't found any recent discussion and thought it was worth a try...

Im a rising CA-1 and have a good bit of "audio time" to fill up (running, driving, ect). Is Big Blue Audio worth the investment when used as a supplement to a typical reading curriculum?

Is it still relevant?

Anyone have a copy they want to sell?

Audio Red or Audio Ranger any good?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

stillwater I am in the same boat as you. let me know if you get ur hands on some audio blue. ill do the same!

So this has been talked about a great deal in the past, but I haven't found any recent discussion and thought it was worth a try...

Im a rising CA-1 and have a good bit of "audio time" to fill up (running, driving, ect). Is Big Blue Audio worth the investment when used as a supplement to a typical reading curriculum?

Is it still relevant?

Anyone have a copy they want to sell?

Audio Red or Audio Ranger any good?

Thanks

I have it. I have been through very little of it. It is very concise and hard to listen to without following along in the book (I do not have the book). It frequently refers to charts and images. Besides it puts me to sleep almost every time I turn it on. I tried listening to it as a CA1, but it is a review course. Without the knowledge already in your memory somewhere, review does not help at all. I started listening to it again the other day. Makes a lot more sense this time around. Hope this helps.

There are probably much better uses of your cash than big blue (Faust, Hall and Chantigian).

Ender

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a CA-2 and have an older version. I do listen to it occasionally and find it quite helpful. Some of the topics do refer to Big Blue (which I don't have yet) but, I just skip over them.

Another audio that I find VERY helpful is ICU rounds (it's a podcast). Many of the topics are relevant to anesthesia and he does a great job of keeping your interest.

Audio Blue is dry listening. It's basically Jensen reading Big Blue out loud, mostly verbatim. I used to listen to it on my drive in to the hospital. The first couple times through I really had to focus on it to get anything, after a couple listens though it's kind of like listening to bad music, even if it kind of grates on your ears you know what's coming next, and the repetition is helpful.

I don't know if I would pay retail for it.

You might see if your hospital library gets Audio Digest. There's some good stuff there.

Audio Blue is dry listening. It's basically Jensen reading Big Blue out loud, mostly verbatim. I used to listen to it on my drive in to the hospital. The first couple times through I really had to focus on it to get anything, after a couple listens though it's kind of like listening to bad music, even if it kind of grates on your ears you know what's coming next, and the repetition is helpful.

I don't know if I would pay retail for it.

You might see if your hospital library gets Audio Digest. There's some good stuff there.

Lock and Load!!!! I listen to audio blue its great for consolidating information. I usually listen to the rotation specific stuff at the end of my rotation.

Although high yield for the writtens, do not drive while listening to Audio Blue. You will kill someone. The hypnosis is seriously equivalent to 25 mcg/kg/min propofol running through your veins...

Well said.:laugh:

Waste of time and money. Expand your horizons and try listening to some new music that you wouldn't otherwise.

I listened to audio blue a lot during CA-2 year and CA-3 year. I thought it was great for repetition. It made me feel like I was using my time wisely when driving to and from the hospitals that were further away from my home. I know It helped my on the written exam!

PM me if interested in a copy. Not sure what year it was. I got it 3 years ago.

I took Jensen's course and lived/breathed Big Blue for the written boards and loved it, passed with flying colors, etc. Having said that, I tried Audio Blue and thought it was horrendous. Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't hit me with a Ranger Run every 5 minutes-- these little quasi-motivational snippits that were more distracting to me than anything else. In general, I find studying to be difficult without a book in front of me, so this audio approach was quite painful, constantly rewinding back to bits I missed. Just not my bag. And I agree, listening while driving is a bad, bad idea. :sleep: :scared: :D

Does anyone have a copy of the Big Blue book or audio CDs that they want to sell? I am willing to try anything after my ITE scores!!! Even extreme boredom.

PM me please!