Big names in ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distracted

MS-II
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Everyone talks about how it's better to get a recommendation for residency from a professor who knows you well rather than a 'big-name' who doesn't. This just made me wonder who these "big names" are -- it's not like there's a list on the internet. As someone who is new to this field, I was hoping to start a list of otolaryngologists who are 'known' by other doctors around the country.

It would be nice to get a few names for each subspecialty.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much anyone who is a chairman would qualify as a "big name."

A brief (and incomplete) list off the top of my head:

Otology- House in LA, Jackson in Nashville
H+N- Schuller at Ohio St, Netterville at Vandy, O'Malley/Weinstein at Penn
Sinus- Kennedy at Penn, Kuhn in Savannah, Metson at Harvard
Peds- Cotton at Cincy, more I'm sure
Larynx/Voice- Ossoff at Vandy, Zeitels at Harvard, Sataloff (?NJ)
FPS- Toriumi at Chicago, Larrabee at UWash, Wax at Oregon, Park at UVA, McCullough in Alabama

some others

Otology - Jenkins and/or Coker
Laryngology - agree (Sataloff is PA I think)
H&N - Myers
Rhinology - Leopold, Lanza, Orlandi, Hwang
Peds - Chan, Allen
FPS - agree

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the editors of the major journals, the past presidents of the Academy, the guys who run the ABOto. That will give you a start on the list. The fact is that there are a huge number of big names and that oto is a small enough field that any chair of any dept is known by several other chairs and that the faculty in any dept who have fully professorships or have fellows are likewise well-known.

I had letters from our chair at Baylor (Bobby Ray Alford), Dr. Brownell (a research scientist), and a FP that I worked with closely on several rotations bc/ he was such a cool guy. I doubt that many non-academics know of Alford, but he knew a ton of academic guys and several asked me how he was doing. Brownell wasn't known by too many non-otology scientists, but he was well-known for writing a very good letter. Of course, no one knew the FP.

So.....my advice is to get letters from: a chair of your dept, another oto that you like and who you think likes you, and then a letter from your favorite faculty of any dept who you KNOW likes you and will write a letter detailing your feats of mental streng in florid fashion.

Another name:
Oto[SIZE=-1] - Miyamoto at IUSM
[/SIZE]

According to this newsletter the AAO-HNS has named Shreveport as one of the top four in the country.

http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/Inside/insd1107.pdf

Scroll down to the second page and look at the story about ENT residents competing at the national meeting.

That's interesting. Anybody else know anything about the Shreveport program?

Here's the deal about the whole "top 4 in the country" BS:

The AAO-HNS decided to have an "Academic Bowl" at the Academy meeting this year. They invited four programs to compete based on their scores on the Home Study Course Self-Assessment.

In other words, these 4 programs did the best on an open-book test. I don't think anybody would call LSU-Shreveport, Utah, Cleveland Clinic and Consortium-something the top 4 programs in the country.