big problem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internalmedicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think i may be crazy.....confused....whatever

this whole specialty picking thing has been killing me for years......

im now about to be a pgy 3 (finishing pgy2 in an extremely competative to match specialty and I did an IM internship for pgy1)............then about a week ago, i decided that i really wasnt that happy with my field for different reasons....so i looked for a pgy2 spot in internal medicine yesterday...and shockingly...i found one! now that it comes down to it, i am really scared to switch.....i dont know what it is....maybe its just that its such a competative field im switching out of (maybe the most competative)...and the program i would potentially be going to for IM is not great but very cushy......not to mention that the fellowships im considering in im (allergy...not sure if ill match or if i ll like it......and endocrine.....very very low reimbursement....and the IM place with a spot for me maybe be difficult to get some fellowships from...i dont know what to do! i dont have the guts to leave....i need to decide in the next 2 days....this is crazy! this sucks! there is definatelysomething wrong with me............

Members don't see this ad.

do you really think youll be any happier in IM?

internalmedicin said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im now about to be a pgy 3 (finishing pgy2 in an extremely competative to match specialty and I did an IM internship for pgy1)............then about a week ago, i decided that i really wasnt that happy with my field for different reasons......

also try'n remember that your experiences as a RESIDENT in whatever field you're referring to will probably be quite different than that as a practicing physician...
unless you're 100% sure you hate the field, seriously think about. Trite as is, grass is always greener on the other side.

internalmedicin said:

im now about to be a pgy 3 (finishing pgy2 in an extremely competative to match specialty and I did an IM internship for pgy1)............then about a week ago, i decided that i really wasnt that happy with my field for different reasons....so i looked for a pgy2 spot in internal medicine yesterday...and shockingly...i found one! now that it comes down to it, i am really scared to switch.....i dont know what it is....maybe its just that its such a competative field im switching out of (maybe the most competative)...and the program i would potentially be going to for IM is not great but very cushy......not to mention that the fellowships im considering in im (allergy...not sure if ill match or if i ll like it......and endocrine.....very very low reimbursement....and the IM place with a spot for me maybe be difficult to get some fellowships from...i dont know what to do! i dont have the guts to leave....i need to decide in the next 2 days....this is crazy! this sucks! there is definatelysomething wrong with me............

Don't switch. Competitive specialty = $$$$. You will be happy once you are in practice.

MD'05 said:
Don't switch. Competitive specialty = $$$$. You will be happy once you are in practice.

What is it about IM that is tempting you away from derm/ortho/optho ?