bike ticket- report on secondary?

Started by chazdean
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chazdean

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received a bike ticket for cycling on the pavement.
I paid the fine, life went on. Do I need to list this on my secondary?
From my understanding, this is an infraction and not a misdemeanor/ felony. Am I correct?
 
Unless it was a misdemeanor, you're fine.

Edit: A few schools have secondaries that ask for even traffic violations, in which case it may have to be reported (UChicago comes to mind).
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Make sure it is not a misdemeanor by looking up your state laws. If they ask for any misdemeanors, list it. If they ask for criminal charges, then I am pretty sure you do not need to list it even if it is a misdemeanor.
 
Since it is so unlikely to be even a blip on your application, I would report it. It might even make you look good for being so scrupulously honest that you even report a bike ticket
I have no problem with reporting it. It's just that it's not a misdemeanor or felony, so I really can't check that off, can I? There was no mandatory court appearance;
I simply mailed my fee and that was the end of that.
It was a while ago, so I don't remember what it said on the ticket, but for all employment purposes, I have stated no to misdemeanor/ criminal offense and there was no issue.

But thanks for the advice. I would like to be as transparent as possible; I'm just not sure where the technicalities lie with my bike ticket. I guess I'll give DMV a call.