Billing for casting supplies (Q403x)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

king22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you bill for casting supplies when applying a cast? Do insurers usually pay for it separately? The only solid info I've found is that Medicare will pay for it only if the cast is applied in an office setting

Members don't see this ad.

Do any of you bill for casting supplies when applying a cast?
Yes

Do insurers usually pay for it separately?
My experience has been they absolutely pay for it

Medicare will pay for it only if the cast is applied in an office setting
That would make sense. But I’m not sure I’ve billed for a cast outside of the office setting? I guess I put on Total Contacts in a wound care clinic but the facility would be billing any supply codes at that point. Splints and casts in the OR are bundled into the surgery CPT codes.

Reactions: 1 users
Are we talking about:
Casting for custom orthotics?
Fiberglass cast s/p surgery?
or
Total contact cast for wounds?

If insurances will cover casting supplies for all of the above please list the codes needed to bill! Please and thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
only do TCC - EZtcc actually. No fiberglass SLC. Bill 5 units of whatever the qcode is. My understanding is equivalent of 4-6 rolls of fiberglass cast if doing via that technique. But certainly rethinking if I want to be doing EZtcc vs. the BSN one vs making it on my own. I have VERY minimal experience casting - as in maybe done 5 or 6 since practicing, and all on an a calc avulsion repair where I wanted them in plantarflexion.

only do TCC - EZtcc actually. No fiberglass SLC. Bill 5 units of whatever the qcode is. My understanding is equivalent of 4-6 rolls of fiberglass cast if doing via that technique. But certainly rethinking if I want to be doing EZtcc vs. the BSN one vs making it on my own. I have VERY minimal experience casting - as in maybe done 5 or 6 since practicing, and all on an a calc avulsion repair where I wanted them in plantarflexion.

this was my experience coming out of residency. Spoiled by cast techs, I was comfortable with a TAR but sucked with casts. Definitely requires some skill putting on a high quality cast, especially on post ops that are guarding against being set at 90 degrees. I had to redo several of my own casts when I got out into the real world. Thankfully my TARs I haven’t had to redo yet.

Reactions: 1 users