Billing Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidthor

meep
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I work for a big academic medical center that does its billing via an internal hospital-owned entity. The internal billing entity is not anesthesia-specific, although they have a decent number of anesthesia dedicated coders/billers. I suspect there is a lot that isn't captured in our coding/billing.

Have any of you done your own audit of your billers? Do they do a decent job or do they miss a lot?

One thing it seems we don't bill for is any sort of equipment. E.g. A-Line kits, CVC kits, epidural kits, etc. But I see that the surgery side bills for EVERYTHING (all the way down to sutures, dressings, and chloraprep). Do you regularly bill patients for these things? Is this a common source of lost revenue?

Do y'all in SDN world have any tips on how to learn more about billing? Is the ASA Crosswalk/RVU combo deal worth investing in? Any good webinars?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all - I work for a big academic medical center that does its billing via an internal hospital-owned entity. The internal billing entity is not anesthesia-specific, although they have a decent number of anesthesia dedicated coders/billers. I suspect there is a lot that isn't captured in our coding/billing.

Have any of you done your own audit of your billers? Do they do a decent job or do they miss a lot?

One thing it seems we don't bill for is any sort of equipment. E.g. A-Line kits, CVC kits, epidural kits, etc. But I see that the surgery side bills for EVERYTHING (all the way down to sutures, dressings, and chloraprep). Do you regularly bill patients for these things? Is this a common source of lost revenue?

Do y'all in SDN world have any tips on how to learn more about billing? Is the ASA Crosswalk/RVU combo deal worth investing in? Any good webinars?

anesthesia equipment is billed out on the hospital charge side (facility fee), not the anesthesia professional services side. I also doubt the surgeons themselves are billing for sutures, that will also come out in the facility fee.

anesthesia equipment is billed out on the hospital charge side (facility fee), not the anesthesia professional services side. I also doubt the surgeons themselves are billing for sutures, that will also come out in the facility fee.

Indeed the surgeons themselves are not - but I can see the OR nurses somehow enter this info and the surgery related items are billed for. I suspect the hospital could be billing for anesthesia stuff (kits and the like) but they aren't? This could be line-item billed for via part of the facility fee?

Indeed the surgeons themselves are not - but I can see the OR nurses somehow enter this info and the surgery related items are billed for. I suspect the hospital could be billing for anesthesia stuff (kits and the like) but they aren't? This could be line-item billed for via part of the facility fee?
Are you sure they're not? Or is there some all-encompassing generic "anesthesia" charges on the hospital bill? My recent shoulder arthroscopy generated a $20k hospital bill (pre-insurance discount of course). Of that, $4000 or so was charged for "anesthesia". Anesthesia professional services are charged separate from the hospital by the private anesthesia group, as is the surgeon's fee.

Reactions: 1 users