Bio/Chem majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cystapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have taken these courses, how would you list them in order starting with the most difficult?

Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Organic Chemistry, Physiology, Calculus2, Physics?

:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on the teacher but from my experiences......

1) Molecular Biology
2) Immunology
3) Organic Chemistry
4) Physics
5) Mircobiology
6) Physiology
7) Calculas
8) Genetics

From hardest to easiest

For those that have taken these courses, how would you list them in order starting with the most difficult?

Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Organic Chemistry, Physiology, Calculus, Physics?

I haven't taken every course you've listed - namely immunology or a true molecular bio course - but the hardest course i've taken was the calculus based physics E&M [electricity and magnetism or something]

Our teacher was bad - real bad - but there was just some concepts that challenged me, and I hadn't really been challenged on an "understanding" level like that previously. Trying to grasp the concept of charges generated by donut shaped three dimensional objects rotating in 3 planes - taking derivatives of surface area and what not - yeah it wasn't easy. I got an A though. I find most of those types of courses all lump into a similar level of difficulty though, not easy - certainly not too hard. Nothing some coffee and time at the library can't solve.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only taken 3 bio classes and none of them were hard (General Biology I & II, Cell Biology).

I had a tougher time in General Chemistry than I did in Organic. Sure I studied more in Organic, but I found it enjoyable (I had kickass professors).

Cal-based Physics is hard. I've finished mechanics with a good grade, but I'm scared as hell to take E&M.

It all depends on the teacher but from my experiences......

1) Molecular Biology
2) Immunology
3) Organic Chemistry
4) Physics
5) Mircobiology
6) Physiology
7) Calculas
8) Genetics

From hardest to easiest

I agree, definitely depends on the teacher.

For me.

1) Molecular (B)- Teacher read through power points, changing and skipping things at random
2) Organic (B,B,A)- Teacher was completely unorganized, her first time teaching Ochem:scared:
3) Calculus (A,B)- Lady was an airhead.

6)Physics A,A
7)Physiology A,A(A&P I/II)
8)Microbiology A

Gave you the grades for each semester/quarter
I wasn't required to take genetics/Immuno.

I've only taken 3 bio classes and none of them were hard (General Biology I & II, Cell Biology).

I had a tougher time in General Chemistry than I did in Organic. Sure I studied more in Organic, but I found it enjoyable (I had kickass professors).

Cal-based Physics is hard. I've finished mechanics with a good grade, but I'm scared as hell to take E&M.

I agree with you on the on the part about General Chem (Mainly Part 2). The professor I had for that particular course was not that great. I took Orgo chem I this past spring 2007 semester and I enjoyed it a whole lot more than general chem. So far I have taken about 4 Biology courses, Gen. Bio II was hard because I had a professor who acted as if he was teaching at Harvard.

1. orgo- its not memorize rxns like everyone thinks, its application of the memorization
2. microbiology- depends on teacher
3. biochem- in depth bio 101 n 102, hope you paid attention.
4. physics- based upon how well you can visualize, the rest is crunching numbers.
5. molecular- based largely on biochem, once you do that, piece o cake
6. immuno- this depends on the teacher, but then again much of it is an application of biochem andin depth version of bio 101
7. Calculus- easy

didn't take phis. or genetics

Thanks for all your input! now I know what I'll be working with.

:)

Hello... I've taken all these classes (some of them were under different names at my university) and made A's in all of them (I've already graduated with a BS in biochem which requires all these classes). Here are some of my experiences, hope it'll help you prep for your pharm school application
From hardest to easiest (just my opinion)
1.Biochem: it's a combination of everything in science (cell, biol, math, chem, o-chem...) understand your basics (acid-bases pH, buffer, cell structures and physiology of biological processes, always follow the electrons when studying metabolism--where they go, which thing accepts and donates them, what enzymes transfer them). Use logics and try to understand things rather than memorizing (ex: enzyme kinetics, Cori cycle) Oh and remember to memorize all the amino acids carefully, trust me, you'll need them later... a lot
2. Molecular Biol: Again, this is similar to biochem because you need to know the basics but it emphasizes a lot on mechanisms in details: which step requires energy in which form, names of each enzyme/agent involving in each step...When studying these, draw out charts and follow the main events (eg: DNA strands finally get opened by a series of a bunch of stuffs binding to this and to this and to this...) Also, use logics to answer for ex why taking so much antibiotics make you tired, particularly reduces your ATP potentials
3.Immunology: Again, this clearly depends on the teacher. But be sure to know mechanisms (eg: how B/T cells kill, how their genes get rearranged...)
4. Genetics=Microbiol. To me they are the same, genetics is basically an intro to molecular biol. For micro, please make sure you are able to memorize names of bugs and know what they do, where they belong, how they are killed/supported (A lot of memorizing names)
5.O-chem: please make sure you understand mechanisms. That's all I can say. As long as you know how to push e- rationally and understand rxn steps, you are fine. Also, need to know how to memorize structures (just like with amino acids in biochem). This is a base for every single of your future classes in biol and biochem (med chem, pharmacology,...)
6.Physiology: I took this in 2 semesters sequence as Human A&P 1 and 2. For anotomy, you need to be a good memorizer. For physiology, you need to understand the process and know how the human body works (I know it's broad but make sure you know each step in each process of each system)
7.Cal=Physics. These are just maths. Cal requires some practice to solve stuffs like intergrals. For these two, the more practice you do with problems, the better shape you are in.
Good luck :)

Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Organic Chemistry, Physiology, Calculus, Physics?

Purely from my experience:

1. Organic Chemistry
2. Biochemistry
3. Physics
4. Physiology - it's very interesting and not extremely difficult, but covers a lot of information
5. Molecular Biology
6. Immunology
7. Microbiology - I think it's one of the most interesting of them all, hence easier in my opinion
8. Calculus
9. Genetics

Of course this will vary depending on your strengths/weaknesses and which ones you actually find interesting.

Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Organic Chemistry, Physiology, Calculus2, Physics?

Depends both upon the teacher and the college where you take the classes. You also have to take into account the order in which you take the classes as well as the "non-measurable" personal factors. From my experience the list is as follows:

Organic
Calc 2
Physics
Microbiology
Genetics
Immunology
Biochemistry
Molecular Biology
Physiology

I took physiology (as well as anatomy) at a community college and they were a joke - I wound up with >100% in both classes. I've heard that they are considerably more difficult at the university level.

Like everyone else said, it depends on school and esp professors, but from my experience at CSULB,

Organic chemistry
Biochemistry
Genetics
Physics
Calc2
Physiology
Molecular Biology
Immunology
Microbiology

I never took Immunology...
I have not taken Biochem yet but I hear it is harder than all of the above but it does combine a little from all of them so should be very doable. Micro, genetics were both just a bunch of memorizing not to bad. I had really good teachers for Molecular and Ochem so those courses were not hard. Calculus is just playing with variables, simple enough after some practice. Physiology presented some challenges but not too bad at all, just memorize mechanisms that you learned in Molecular and go from there. The hardest class I would say is Physics, you have to use your problem solving skills to come up with the answer in a mathematical format, class was a little harder even if it was calculus based, fun fun!
All these classes are the basis for what you will be learning in Pharmacy School so just hit the ground running in every class. Contact former students of the class for notes, study guides and old exams.
You are done with most of these classes aren't you cystapharm?

Molecular Biology - far and away the hardest at my school
Organic
Biochem
Physics
Genetics
Calc2
Physiology
Microbiology - def. easiest at my school

never took immunology