Bio Courses that help with MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoustonArete

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a non-science major who is working on meeting all the pre-req's I was just wondering if anyone had some insight as to what additional Biology courses might be extremely beneficial in preparation for the MCAT - I've heard from an advisor that Genetics and Human Physiology might be, and there are also the options for Elementary Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Endocrinology, Developmental Biology, Microbial Physiology, and Cell Biology. Can anyone offer some guidance?

Members don't see this ad.

While those other subjects are covered on the MCAT, I would take biochem if I were you. It was crucial in my doing well on the bio section. It will give you the whole gist of genetics and metabolism, but on a more MCAT-level, and not too much more.

Thanks royale! I will definitely check into that and heed your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree about taking biochem. I would say the two most important elective courses for the MCAT are biochem and physiology.

Thanks - I have time for at least two or three electives and I've heard a lot of positive feedback from others on these two classes in particular.

I have heard from numerous "inside" sources that the mcat with start heavily stressing nematology.

Better get on that! :idea:

I really would not recommend taking courses based on whether they'll help you on the MCAT. Most of the courses go far too in depth about things that won't matter. Spending a few weeks with a good review book (Examkrackers, for example) will do far more for you than even the non-elective courses.

If you feel the need, I would take physio though. There's alot of it on the MCAT and having it reinforced multiple times can't hurt. I would be more concerned with how individual courses will affect your GPA than how they'll help you with the MCAT though. If you think you'll rock Genetics or some of the other classes, I'd go for them. (Of course, I recommend genetics least of them for MCAT, even though it's a fun class. I think the genetics on the MCAT was the easiest part, honestly).