Bio Engineering/ Biomedical Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Contrastic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this thread but I decided since I was pre-med, I should try here (sorry if improperly placed).

Background info: Canadian, attending the University of Manitoba. I'm able to graduate at the end of this semester with a General Science Degree (BSc). I applied to medicine this year after trying the MCAT for the first time last summer. I didn't end up getting an interview.

Question:

I was wondering if there were any biomedical engineering programs in Canada (potentially even abroad?) that will take into consideration my BSc and allow me to add a couple of years towards a degree in bio/biomedical engineering. In the mean time I can continue to work towards medical school and, in general, the health field.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but I decided since I was pre-med, I should try here (sorry if improperly placed).

Background info: Canadian, attending the University of Manitoba. I'm able to graduate at the end of this semester with a General Science Degree (BSc). I applied to medicine this year after trying the MCAT for the first time last summer. I didn't end up getting an interview.

Question:

I was wondering if there were any biomedical engineering programs in Canada (potentially even abroad?) that will take into consideration my BSc and allow me to add a couple of years towards a degree in bio/biomedical engineering. In the mean time I can continue to work towards medical school and, in general, the health field.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt it. Biomedical engineering actually has very little biology.

You'd be starting from scratch in any proper biomedical engineering program. It's engineering in the context of creating medical devices. I have heard of bioengineering programs (in the states) that veer more towards biotechnology and protein/gene manipulation and that sort of thing. If that's what you're into you might find a masters program in bioengineering that you could move into pretty easily. Good luck with your pursuits!

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it. Biomedical engineering actually has very little biology.

im not from canada but i have a bs in BME. it's mainly applied biology, math, and chemsitry not the typical biology class where you just memorize things

im not from canada but i have a bs in BME. it's mainly applied biology, math, and chemsitry not the typical biology class where you just memorize things

My program is mostly electrical/chemical engineering. Not much bio knowledge needed past introductory bio (this bio knowledge is applied to other things though, like modeling physiological systems with a differential equation).

FAU in Boca Raton Fl. As long as you have a BA in Bio, Chem, etc and have taken 2 semester of calculus and GRE of course. It is a master in bioengineering.

My program is mostly electrical/chemical engineering. Not much bio knowledge needed past introductory bio (this bio knowledge is applied to other things though, like modeling physiological systems with a differential equation).

+1 -- I feel like most programs are like this