Biomedical Engineering Categorization Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobadoz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a BME major, and obviously, I have taken a lot of BME classes. I know that many schools require letters from "science" professors. Because of COVID, I only have real connections to the professors in my major. These classes are math and science heavy in my opinion (biomechanics, bioprocessing, thermodynamics, quality control, etc) but do the professors count as "science" professors?

Additionally, how do these classes get sorted in AMCAS? Do we get to pick and choose? The last thing I want is for my app to get held back because of disputed "science" classes.

Would really appreciate some feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a BME major, and obviously, I have taken a lot of BME classes. I know that many schools require letters from "science" professors. Because of COVID, I only have real connections to the professors in my major. These classes are math and science heavy in my opinion (biomechanics, bioprocessing, thermodynamics, quality control, etc) but do the professors count as "science" professors?

Additionally, how do these classes get sorted in AMCAS? Do we get to pick and choose? The last thing I want is for my app to get held back because of disputed "science" classes.

Would really appreciate some feedback :)
In response to your questions:

A. AMCAS Course Classification Guide:

1. You should read the Course Classification Guide to review how courses are often categorized by AMCAS (click below):

AMCAS Course Classification Guide

B. Primary Content of Course:

1. You are responsible for selecting the correct course classification - although AMCAS reserves the right to change course classifications upon review if the assigned course classification does not apply.

2. Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course.

3. As an example, you can see that AMCAS has included biomedical engineering courses (BME) under "Engineering" in the AMCAS Course Classification Guide.

4. However, some biomedical engineering courses - that might be broadly classified as "Engineering" on the AMCAS Course Classification Guide - may have "significant and primary biology content" in addition to biomedical engineering content. In other words, if the primary content of a biomedical engieering course is more "biology" than engineering, it can be classified as "Biology" irrespective of the department that is offering the course.

C. Reclassification of Course By AMCAS and Subsequent Appeal:

1. If AMCAS reclassifies a course upon review, you can appeal that decision and thereafter supply AMCAS with a detailed description of course content, course syllabus, listing of class lecture topics and reading assignments, reading materials, class discussion topics, and/or the school's description of courses to clearly support and document your decision to classify a biomedical course as a "science" course (e.g., the course is primarily Biology content vs. engineering content).

2. Please be aware ... if AMCAS has to reclassify your courses, this may delay the verification of your application. Remain aware and stay informed.

D. Letter of Recommendation from "Science" vs. "All Other" Faculty:

1. Some medical schools may accept LORs from your biomedical engineering faculty as "science" letters (especially if you can demonstrate that the course taught to you by the professor contained primarily BCPM content irrespective of the name of the department that offered the course) ... BUT other schools are less flexible, and will not accept them as "science" letters.

2. For this reason, it's advisable to first ask and double-check with all schools ahead of time before simply assuming that each medical school will accept a LOR from your biomedical professor as an acceptable "science" LOR.

3. To be on the safe side, always double-check with the schools ahead of time. Do your due diligence ... just do it.

Hope this information is useful to you - thank you.

Reactions: 1 user