BIO Equipment- what to choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftiii

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're going to be plunking down a bit o' money this week to purchase our BIO gear, and as I have NO idea about any of it, I thought I would see what some other people's opinions were about what they owned, and what was really necessary to get. I'd especially like some thoughts of the practicing ODs. Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you'll ever buy one.. buy it as a student.. you'll never get the same price/warranty/service again! =)

Also I assume it's the same for every school.. but if you bought a Keeler diagnostic kit they give you $100 off any BIO.. you can sometimes get the WA reps to match it if you ask nicely. I got the Keeler Wireless All Pupil (with the $100 off) and love it.

In terms of necessity.. it depends on your school.. At SUNY although they suggest everyone buys a BIO, it's not essential since every exam room in clinic has a BIO so you can use the one on the wall, each room is different so you have to get used to using every type. I personally like using my own, it's set up and ready to go.. and no wires! :D

I'd go with a wireless Keeler or Heine. Get the top of the line models. I have the Heine. As a consultant I use all the brands the students have and none are really all that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get a chance to try them on to see how they feel? Only one would fit on my little noggin, so that made the decision easy for me. :p

We get to try them on Thursday at our equipt fair and that was also mentioned as something to be sure of...fit.

I am, however, hearing conflicting opinions on what to purchase. Someone just told me to get the cheapest because they didn't see a real difference between the top of the line models (which they had) and the cheaper ones.

Good thing to know about the wireless preference. I had been thinking about it and wasn't entirely convinced it mattered. The more I think about, the more I know I'd be happier to have it.

So how much do Drs use this "on the outside"? This is what really gets to me, because if I could be convinced that it is going to be essential to me in practice, that there isn't going to be some other, better piece of equipment to take its place, I would probably buy the best.

Of course, we don't get to know anything about it before we are required to purchase it.... Sigh! Thanks for the help. Any more opinions, keep them coming.

I went with the lightest BIO available at the time, which was a Heine. A lot of people like the cordless models. I found that by 4th year I just started using whatever was on the wall in the exam room because lugging my BIO bag along with everything else was annoying.

This will not be the last BIO you ever use, so I would go with what feels good on your head. I can't imagine any job you get after you graduate where there won't already be a BIO in the room waiting for you unless you start up cold. I would think portability would be very important at this stage also since you will have to carry it around all the time. The last time I used my BIO was my last in school rotation of my 4th year. All of my external rotations had BIO's in the room. My residency director wouldn't allow us to use our own BIO's so we would be able to walk into any exam room and get a look at the retina with any BIO we encountered. When I got my first job, there were BIO's in all the rooms, and when I purchased my practice it also came with BIO's in every room so I sold mine. I know these decisions seem like the most important of your life right now, but in the whole scheme of things they are fairly minor. You will learn to use whatever equipment you buy, and there is a good chance you will never use it again once you graduate.

Haha! Don't mistake me. This decision is not important to me... except that I am a total penny pincher and want to get the most for my money. I have heard exactly what I was looking for and will have saved a few bucks in the process (as long as cheap doesn't mean uncomfortable.)

Luckily we got to practice for several weeks with the different BIO's before we decided which one to purchase, so I got some experience with each.

I don't know if it'a available yet, but Keeler has a new spec mounted BIO with LED illumination, wireless too I believe. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

They say (they probably being the Heine reps) that Heine has superior optics, but I haven't really noticed a huge difference between the different brands. One thing to keep in mind though that is a fact... the Heine BIOs have a shorter working distance compared to Keeler or WA, so if you have super short arms or super long ones this will factor into your decision. Just another little nuisance to keep in mind when you're pulling your hair out trying to master extended BIO or even focus post pole I guess.