Bio Experiments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragda26

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know what is the best way to get the bio experiments down? I am having understanding everyone of them when I read the passages for Kaplan.

Also, who thought Kaplan was an accurate predictor for verbal and bio scores?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

best way to understand bio experimental passages --> make sure you take genetics/biochemistry/ molecular biology. If you understand the main molecular bio techniques (PCR, restriction enzymes, ligation, Southern Blot, protein purification, ELISA, i could go on....), then understanding the data presented in the passage will be way easier....

that's how i got a 12 in bio (w/out studying organic at all)

Jen

I don't think you need a ton of upper-div classes to get a 12, I did with hardly any. I found the EK bio book complemented by any intro text book to be very helpful.

Can't speak to the bio, but Kaplan's verbal tests aren't very representative at all I don't think. Try an EK test from the EK 101 Verbal book, or better yet the sections on the aamc full lengths.

crys20 said:
I don't think you need a ton of upper-div classes to get a 12, I did with hardly any. I found the EK bio book complemented by any intro text book to be very helpful.

Can't speak to the bio, but Kaplan's verbal tests aren't very representative at all I don't think. Try an EK test from the EK 101 Verbal book, or better yet the sections on the aamc full lengths.

Do you think Kaplan is easier or harder than the real thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just different, mainly. To me the difference made it easier. I think kaplan has more questions that you could go back into the passage and find the answer to. EK and the real thing are at least 80% questions where you never really know WHAT the answer is, you just sort of have a gut feeling or you don't. Much more abstract and random I think. So yes, I think EK is the best verbal prep. Good luck guys!! I know verbal sucks! :)

Kaplan's physical and biological science scores are a very good indicator on how well you'll do in the science sections of the MCAT. The verbal has no correlation, however. From my experience and those that took the class with me, nearly everyone did better on the kaplan verbal than the real mcat. I don't think its that Kaplan's verbal exams are well designed or anythign; instead i think they don't curve it properly. The same % right on kaplan's test gave 2-3 points higher than the princeton reviews. Seems a little peculiar to me.

crys20 said:
I think it's just different, mainly. To me the difference made it easier. I think kaplan has more questions that you could go back into the passage and find the answer to. EK and the real thing are at least 80% questions where you never really know WHAT the answer is, you just sort of have a gut feeling or you don't. Much more abstract and random I think. So yes, I think EK is the best verbal prep. Good luck guys!! I know verbal sucks! :)