Bio - Heart Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mstoothlady2012

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone please explain this to me....

systolic blood pressure is maintained by the

a) left atrium
b) right atrium
c) left venticle
d) right ventricle
e) semilunar valves in the aorta

I was looking for something like c & d or AV valves, but none of them are on there....ahh!! What would you all pick and why? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i would pick left ventricle....cuz thats the one that pumps blood to systemic circulation...but arent both the right and left ventricles involved in systolic pressure?

yea...lol I figured you would know the answer to this one since you have already done cliffs. But I don't understand why???

Systolic means contraction of BOTH ventricles and while ventricles are contracting AV nodes prevent the back flow of the blood, so they are kinda involved in that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would pick c, left ventricle. since it mainly pumps blood to the body.

to add a little more, systolic cycle has higher pressure than diastolic.

yea...lol I figured you would know the answer to this one since you have already done cliffs. But I don't understand why???

Systolic means contraction of BOTH ventricles and while ventricles are contracting AV nodes prevent the back flow of the blood, so they are kinda involved in that too.

the ventricles are definetely involved in systolic pressure but the AV valves dont really do much but prevent the flow of blood back into the atria...you have other valves like the aortic semilunar valve that prevents blood from going back into the ventricles...but again the most important thing here is the pumping device, which of course is the ventricle...but I have no idea why they choose left ventricle vs the right ventricle...maybe because the right ventricle is short lived since it has to go through a shorter circuit (just to the lungs) while the left has to do systemic and that really has to do with blood pressure...just a thoguht

i would pick left ventricle....cuz thats the one that pumps blood to systemic circulation...but arent both the right and left ventricles involved in systolic pressure?

agree, left ventricle because the systol happens when the heart become reatively empty of blood(contraction), and blood pumps out. left ventricle has the most important role for that.

I don't see why 1 is more important over the other. Anyways thanks guys! I guess this is something that I just have to know.

I would also say C. I'm pretty sure studies shows that left ventricle pumps harder than the right. Obviously It has to go through the systemic circulatory vs just the pulmonary. Systole = contraction, so the right ventricle is definitely involved as well. Weird answer choices.

I was confused on this one too. I just told myself that the left ventricle pumps blood towards the body while the right ventricle pumps blood towards the lungs. Thats my reasoning

Where do you get these weird questions from, misstoothy? I'm glad I have neither Schuam nore Cliff. These are really confusing. I mean the poor guys are desperate to make up a question for the sake of messing up with out minds. Lol:laugh:

Where do you get these weird questions from, misstoothy? I'm glad I have neither Schuam nore Cliff. These are really confusing. I mean the poor guys are desperate to make up a question for the sake of messing up with out minds. Lol:laugh:
Lol I got it from cliffs. Where do you study from then harry? oh wait nvm I forgot you are a genius :bow:

You must be popping open your thousands of textbooks and study straight from them right? Seriously how do you study for bio? :eyebrow:

haha true that!

All I know about systolic is that it's the pressure of ventricular contraction and diastolic is the pressure between the contractions.

Lol I got it from cliffs. Where do you study from then harry? oh wait nvm I forgot you are a genius :bow:

You must be popping open your thousands of textbooks and study straight from them right? Seriously how do you study for bio? :eyebrow:

Lol, don't make me look like that. I just review my bio notes from 2 of my bio classes, and read about 10 of the main chapters from the reference bio book [campbell] mentioned on the ADA reference pdf file. That's it baby.

Lol, don't make me look like that. I just review my bio notes from 2 of my bio classes, and read about 10 of the main chapters from the reference bio book [campbell] mentioned on the ADA reference pdf file. That's it baby.

Ha lol he probly got a bio book for a pillow, and maybe a blanket with a picture of a cell or maybe a bunch of organs pictured all over it :thumbup::laugh::laugh::laugh:
J/K hes just good at bio lol.