Bio Lab Techniques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physics Guy1421

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could suggest some good websites to read up on for the biology lab technique questions or the curveball questions (FRAP, cloning, fetal circulation, etc.)?

I remember reading a post that sited a great website for FRAP but I can't find it...anybody know of the link?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That thread has some good info.

I must warn you though, the lab questions that come up do not require some crazy in depth knowledge of the techniques, IMO.

For example, the gel electrophoresis question that comes up only really require you to know that smaller molecules will move farther/faster than larger molecules.

That's it. Nothing really more.

In order to answer the question, however, you had to be able to make some very level headed judgement. I don't think there is anything much I could have studied to better prepare me to answer the question and much of what I looked over was way overkill.

The FRAP question really doesn't require a ton of knowledge of FRAP itself, just the basic principle. However, you have to apply some other, more general knowledge to the question to be able to answer it. So just don't waste TOO much time looking it over.

It will be good to familiarize yourself with the technique, but I was reading way too much info, when I could have had just as good of odds to answer the question correctly after the very first I explanation I read about the technique.

I agree with sacjumpman. It is more about your application of biology (and chemistry ;) ) to the lab questions that will get you the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
That thread has some good info.

I must warn you though, the lab questions that come up do not require some crazy in depth knowledge of the techniques, IMO.

For example, the gel electrophoresis question that comes up only really require you to know that smaller molecules will move farther/faster than larger molecules.

That's it. Nothing really more.

In order to answer the question, however, you had to be able to make some very level headed judgement. I don't think there is anything much I could have studied to better prepare me to answer the question and much of what I looked over was way overkill.

The FRAP question really doesn't require a ton of knowledge of FRAP itself, just the basic principle. However, you have to apply some other, more general knowledge to the question to be able to answer it. So just don't waste TOO much time looking it over.

It will be good to familiarize yourself with the technique, but I was reading way too much info, when I could have had just as good of odds to answer the question correctly after the very first I explanation I read about the technique.

Sacjumpman...thanks for the detailed response.

I will definetely take your advice but my gen bio class never got into any lab techniques so I am not familiar with some of these techniques. If it wasn't for this site I'd have no idea what FRAP is. With that said I won't read to much into them but I need to familiarize myself with some of these techniques. I know in one of my previous posts you recommended reading about cloning and in vitro fertilization. Could you recommend any other topics/techniques that I should look up that are not mentioned in review texts.

Thanks!