Bio: population genetics

Schemp

drawing infinity
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Seattle
  1. Pre-Medical
After reading the EK Bio prep book I read no mention of any of these terms (except natural selection, of course), unless they were called by a different name. If they're not synonyms of things I've read before, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Kin and group selection aren't K- and r-selection, are they?

That said, I'd still encourage you to find the answer if you can. It certainly won't hurt you. Just don't worry too much about it cause I suspect it won't be found on the MCAT without an explanation.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
After reading the EK Bio prep book I read no mention of any of these terms (except natural selection, of course), unless they were called by a different name. If they're not synonyms of things I've read before, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Kin and group selection aren't K- and r-selection, are they?

That said, I'd still encourage you to find the answer if you can. It certainly won't hurt you. Just don't worry too much about it cause I suspect it won't be found on the MCAT without an explanation.

no its not k and r selection. I know kin and group selection have to do with selecting for alleles that will benefit one's kin or group but there's a fine distinction between the two that i just cant make

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2006
  1. Medical Student
Kin selection benefits your relatives, who have some genetic similarity/similar alleles, so you are in essence continuing your genetic lineage, if not your own lineage, by helping them out.

Group selection is a theory that individual organisms will act in such a way as to benefit their friends/neighbors/groups that they are part of (but this is broader than family, which is the distinction) - group selection doesn't ACTUALLY operate in evolution. It's just a theory with no real evidence. Kin selection, on the other hand, is an established fact pretty much.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.