Bio: population genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between Differential reproduction and natural selection?
What about kin selection and group selection?

Members don't see this ad.

After reading the EK Bio prep book I read no mention of any of these terms (except natural selection, of course), unless they were called by a different name. If they're not synonyms of things I've read before, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Kin and group selection aren't K- and r-selection, are they?

That said, I'd still encourage you to find the answer if you can. It certainly won't hurt you. Just don't worry too much about it cause I suspect it won't be found on the MCAT without an explanation.

After reading the EK Bio prep book I read no mention of any of these terms (except natural selection, of course), unless they were called by a different name. If they're not synonyms of things I've read before, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Kin and group selection aren't K- and r-selection, are they?

That said, I'd still encourage you to find the answer if you can. It certainly won't hurt you. Just don't worry too much about it cause I suspect it won't be found on the MCAT without an explanation.

no its not k and r selection. I know kin and group selection have to do with selecting for alleles that will benefit one's kin or group but there's a fine distinction between the two that i just cant make

Kin selection benefits your relatives, who have some genetic similarity/similar alleles, so you are in essence continuing your genetic lineage, if not your own lineage, by helping them out.

Group selection is a theory that individual organisms will act in such a way as to benefit their friends/neighbors/groups that they are part of (but this is broader than family, which is the distinction) - group selection doesn't ACTUALLY operate in evolution. It's just a theory with no real evidence. Kin selection, on the other hand, is an established fact pretty much.