dhollings0

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
15
0
Status
We all know that the bio on the DAT is very broad and random curveball questions tend to creep into everyone's test. My question is whether these questions and its topic is covered in Campbell? Are the questions difficult because they are very detailed or simply because they are topics not in kaplan and other guides?

Thanks
 

dat_student

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
2,068
0
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status
dhollings0 said:
We all know that the bio on the DAT is very broad and random curveball questions tend to creep into everyone's test. My question is whether these questions and its topic is covered in Campbell? Are the questions difficult because they are very detailed or simply because they are topics not in kaplan and other guides?

Thanks
difficult because some are not in Kaplan... :) If you study Kaplan, and a bunch of other books you can easily be in top 1%. I recommend Princeton Review - MCAT Biological Sciences, Kaplan (everything especially taxonomy, classification & plants), a few AP Biology Books, Columbia Review or another company also has some very good books (you can get 'em from amazon.com). I also looked at Campbell's taxonomy/classification & a few pages in Schuam (~2-3 pages, mostly plant bio).
 
OP
D

dhollings0

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
15
0
Status
dat_student said:
difficult because some are not in Kaplan... :) If you study Kaplan, and a bunch of other books you can easily be in top 1%. I recommend Princeton Review - MCAT Biological Sciences, Kaplan (everything especially taxonomy, classification & plants), a few AP Biology Books, Columbia Review or another company also has some very good books (you can get 'em from amazon.com). I also looked at Campbell's taxonomy/classification & a few pages in Schuam (~2-3 pages, mostly plant bio).
Sounds good. I've read almost the entire campbell book (I never really planned on it :rolleyes: ), so I just wanted to see if my time spent doing this will help answer those curveball questions.

Thanks Dat_Student, you and many others have been very timely and helpful in answering questions on this forum :)
 
About the Ads

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
1,000
1
Irvine
Status
Dentist
dhollings0 said:
Sounds good. I've read almost the entire campbell book (I never really planned on it :rolleyes: ), so I just wanted to see if my time spent doing this will help answer those curveball questions.

Thanks Dat_Student, you and many others have been very timely and helpful in answering questions on this forum :)
the entire campbell textbook? isnt it like...1000 something pages? or is there another campbell...otherwise wow!
 
OP
D

dhollings0

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
15
0
Status
Envision said:
the entire campbell textbook? isnt it like...1000 something pages? or is there another campbell...otherwise wow!
Yeah, the entire mammoth of a text we call Campbell... I just have one plant chapter and the ecology unit to go. My main concern is remembering all of that info :eek: Luckily, I can easily recognize definitions/concepts as being correct or incorrect if I can't recall it exactly. So hopefully it will pay off.
 

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
1,000
1
Irvine
Status
Dentist
dhollings0 said:
Yeah, the entire mammoth of a text we call Campbell... I just have one plant chapter and the ecology unit to go. My main concern is remembering all of that info :eek: Luckily, I can easily recognize definitions/concepts as being correct or incorrect if I can't recall it exactly. So hopefully it will pay off.
how long did it take you?
 
OP
D

dhollings0

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
15
0
Status
Envision said:
how long did it take you?
I started reading it a month ago. So do you guys think there will be topics on the DAt not covered by Campbell? Or am I pretty set?

Thanks
 

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
1,000
1
Irvine
Status
Dentist
dhollings0 said:
I started reading it a month ago. So do you guys think there will be topics on the DAt not covered by Campbell? Or am I pretty set?

Thanks
I brush up on campbell every now and then to. however, if i recall correctly, campbell talks mostly about taxonomy, plant, evolution and ecology. i don't remember it having any neuro, developmental, physio, bio chem or even much genetics. if you covered those areas then ya, i think your pretty set (assuming you retain the info). gl!
 
OP
D

dhollings0

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
15
0
Status
Envision said:
I brush up on campbell every now and then to. however, if i recall correctly, campbell talks mostly about taxonomy, plant, evolution and ecology. i don't remember it having any neuro, developmental, physio, bio chem or even much genetics. if you covered those areas then ya, i think your pretty set (assuming you retain the info). gl!
My 6th edition Campbell contains a significant amount of info pertaining to genetics, physiology of all organ systems, organismal development/embryology and a little on biochem. Campbell's website has like 9 different biology texts, so maybe we're discussing different books. Mine has 1200+ pages.

Why are we on SDN so late? Shouldn't we be sleeping or studying?!?! :D
 
About the Ads