Bio Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primerdimer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. A person w/ type B blood receives a donation of type AB blood. What will happen?

a. Antibodies in the type B blood will agglutinate type AB antibodies
b. The type B blood cells will agglutinate
c. The type AB blood cells will agglutinate
d. The type AB blood cells will convert to type B
e. Nothing will happen

2. When the atrioventricular valves are closed

a. ventricles are in diastole
b. atria are in diastole
c. ventricles are in systole
d. Blood is entering the ventricles
e. Both a and d

I'm thinking (1) is c. for (2) I would've said b and c (I'm guessing the Q is wrong?)

Members don't see this ad.

1. A person w/ type B blood receives a donation of type AB blood. What will happen?

e. Nothing will happen

b. atria are in diastole
e. Both a and d

I'm thinking (1) is c. for (2) I would've said b and c (I'm guessing the Q is wrong?)

1) i thought the universal donor was type O and the universal recipient was type AB...and in this case the guy is recieveing type b and he or she is a universal recipient so nothing would happen. E
2)when the av valvesclose that means the blood is in the ventricles and it is if it is closed that means that the blood in the ventricles will go out the lunar valves and this would mean it is in systole or contracted phase that pushes the blood out into the open semilunar valves...so C...
correct me if im wrong anyone..im pretty sure this is right...too lazy to look up the real answer so im going based off what i know...

e. Nothing will happen

b. atria are in diastole
e. Both a and d

1. if the person is type B, then he has A-antibodies so an AB transfusion would lead to agglutination (answer C). AB is a universal recipient so a person with AB could accept all blood types

2. if the av valves are closed then the blood is in the ventricles and is in ventricicular systorle (answer C) to prevent backflow into the atria. it is not B because atrial systole pushes the blood through the av valve. (b and d are the same thing_

1) i thought the universal donor was type O and the universal recipient was type AB...and in this case the guy is recieveing type b and he or she is a universal recipient so nothing would happen. E
2)when the av valvesclose that means the blood is in the ventricles and it is if it is closed that means that the blood in the ventricles will go out the lunar valves and this would mean it is in systole or contracted phase that pushes the blood out into the open semilunar valves...so C...
correct me if im wrong anyone..im pretty sure this is right...too lazy to look up the real answer so im going based off what i know...

AB is universal recipient not universal donor. AB blood has antigens for A and antigens for B so the body recognizes both antigens as self. For this reason, AB can receive blood from anyone because it has antigens to recognize all blood types.

O blood on the other hand is universal donor because it contains no surface antigens so body doesn't dissociate between the different blood types. Thus it can be given to anyone without anyone having an immune reaction to it.

as for the last question, my answer would be C as well. When the AV valves are closed, blood is restricted from flowing back into the atria. There's no other way for blood to go except to be pumped out from ventricles by means of 'ventricular systole'
Atrial diastole refers to the period where the heart is relaxing, more specifically the atria is relaxing after contracting during systole. At this point, pressure within the atria decreases as the atria begins to fill up with blood again. During diastole, the AV valves and the mitral valves are open.

i'm pretty sure i got that right. please correct me if i'm wrong =) hope that helps if you're still confused...

The answer to both is C. For Q1, the host antibodies will attack the donor blood and will bind to the A antigen on the AB blood cells (since type B blood has antibodies against type A blood). For Q2, technically the AV valves are closed during both phases of ventricular systole (isovolumetric contraction and ventricular ejection) and the first phase of ventricular diastole (isovolumetric relaxation). But given the answer choices, I would pick C.