BIOCHEM 2 - necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missdiana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I need some advice.

Many of schools I want to go wants Biochem credit (mostly require 1 semester). I took Biochem I and got A. I am very happy.
I am not sure taking Biochem II will help me get into a dental school.
I like the course and I would take it if there wasn't a schedule conflict with my job and stuff.

Also, another problem is that if I drop Biochem II, I will be taking only 10 credit this semester (part time for my school).

Do you think I should keep Biochem II and full-time student status or just drop it? I can take it if I need to. I can work with my job. Just it is a such a dilemma.
Can you give me an advice?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

drop it.

Reactions: 1 user
Drop it and take another course that doesn't affect your job. That way you can keep the full time status

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. In the class, you learn some more pathways and how biomolecules are utilized / it has a little more application to pharmacology and drug design than biochem I, but I don't feel it was a class that put me at an advantage above other students entering dental school. I would replace it with a less rigorous course to remain a full time student, but not get burnt out.

If you are set on applying to a specific school that requires two 2 semesters of biochem, just keep in mind that you will have to find a way to take another semester eventually before you matriculate (i.e., before you begin dental school). You don't necessarily have to have it completed by the time you apply. If this isn't an option, then you will have to be content with not applying to those schools with the specific biochem requirement.

I have an upcoming interview at a school in which I don't have the biochem requirement fulfilled (missing one semester). I still got an interview, but I will have to take the class sometime between now and before I begin dental school there if I get admitted. Hope this helps.

I don't think any school requires 2 semesters of Biochem. Some want 1 semester and others biochem isn't even listed.

If you are set on applying to a specific school that requires two 2 semesters of biochem, just keep in mind that you will have to find a way to take another semester eventually before you matriculate (i.e., before you begin dental school). You don't necessarily have to have it completed by the time you apply. If this isn't an option, then you will have to be content with not applying to those schools with the specific biochem requirement.

I have an upcoming interview at a school in which I don't have the biochem requirement fulfilled (missing one semester). I still got an interview, but I will have to take the class sometime between now and before I begin dental school there if I get admitted. Hope this helps.
No school requires 2 semesters of biochemistry