Biochem and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just took my biochem final, and I know that I did not do well. Then again, when the rest of the class can't even fill out nearly half the exam, something is wrong. Anyway, is how you do in biochem in undergrad anyway indicative of how you'll do in med school? I'm sure it will be taught better, because I honestly had the worst teacher on the planet. How's biochem in med school? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

How well you do in undergrad biochem is about as indicative as how you'll do in med school biochem. Don't worry about it too much, as everyone has one aspect of med carriculum that they don't like, and yours looks to be biochem. From what I've heard across most of the schools I've visited, biochem is one of those pain in the ass courses everyone takes and then kinda forgets until they take Step I and then they totally forget it.

There are certainly some details of biochem that are relevant to being a practicing physcian; however, almost all undergraduate classes (and, unfortunately, most med school versions, as well), tend to go into a level of detail that is way beyond what you will need or want later in your career. Your undergraduate science gpa as a whole is a good indicator of your likely preclinical med school performance, but I wouldn't fixate on any particular premed class as more indicative than any other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention variations between schools and professors. I also had an awful one.

well i am a first year med student and my biochem final is tomorrow afternoon....
and trust me, biochem still sucks in med school. its not necessarily harder though, its just that you have so many other difficult (not to mention, more interesting) classes you are taking. they don't expect as much in depth knowledge and details as i had to know in undergrad. i managed to squeak out a 3.5 in undergrad biochem with the help of a serious curve. so far in med school biochem, i have about an 80%. my school is pass/fail so i will hopefully pass. good news is you actually get to see how it applies to real life...which i always seriously doubted.

Originally posted by drdr2010
well i am a first year med student and my biochem final is tomorrow afternoon....
and trust me, biochem still sucks in med school. its not necessarily harder though, its just that you have so many other difficult (not to mention, more interesting) classes you are taking. they don't expect as much in depth knowledge and details as i had to know in undergrad. i managed to squeak out a 3.5 in undergrad biochem with the help of a serious curve. so far in med school biochem, i have about an 80%. my school is pass/fail so i will hopefully pass. good news is you actually get to see how it applies to real life...which i always seriously doubted.

You said u got a 3.5 biochem in undergrad. Was biochem ur major?