Biochem Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneChargers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am running into a bit of an issue. My university splits Biochemistry into two courses, Metabolism and Macromolecules. I have given the course descriptions below. Which one of these would be preferable to take pre-MCAT, if only one had to be picked? Trying my best to not have to stay another semester for one class of Biochemistry. Thanks in advance.

Macromolecules: Topics include cellular organization: pH and buffering. energy changes in molecular interactions. structure and characteristics of amino acids and proteins, structure/function relationships of enzymes, carbohydrates, lipids, and studies of the production, structure, and function of nucleic acids.

Metabolism: The metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids, amino acids, and nucleotides will be covered with emphasis on reactions, enzymes, energy changes, pathway regulation, and pathway integration. Production of energy-rich molecules in the cell will be linked to important cellular functions (i.e., biosynthesis, movement, and transport).

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks,

I am running into a bit of an issue. My university splits Biochemistry into two courses, Metabolism and Macromolecules. I have given the course descriptions below. Which one of these would be preferable to take pre-MCAT, if only one had to be picked? Trying my best to not have to stay another semester for one class of Biochemistry. Thanks in advance.

Macromolecules: Topics include cellular organization: pH and buffering. energy changes in molecular interactions. structure and characteristics of amino acids and proteins, structure/function relationships of enzymes, carbohydrates, lipids, and studies of the production, structure, and function of nucleic acids.

Metabolism: The metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids, amino acids, and nucleotides will be covered with emphasis on reactions, enzymes, energy changes, pathway regulation, and pathway integration. Production of energy-rich molecules in the cell will be linked to important cellular functions (i.e., biosynthesis, movement, and transport).
MCAT covers both so pick your poison. Have you taken other classes with similar topics? I would take the course with material you've had the least exposure to.

Reactions: 1 user
Macromolecules sounds more relevant IMO. Seems like you'll get a better underlying understanding of biochem, especially via the structure of the molecules and how they function.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly you should try to take both.. IF you had to pick I would say macromolecules is maybe slightly more high yield material.. you will see tons of A.A. classification questions on the MCAT. There were sections on lipid metabolism and enzyme kinetics too though so again, I would try to take both!

Our school offers the macromolecules type first as Advanced Biochemistry 1. Most students take that. So much of the MCAT is predicated on the concepts you learn in that class that I would consider it absolutely necessary. You can learn a lot about metabolism on your own, although it was quite helpful with a few questions (that's offered at our school as Advanced Biochemistry II). So Macromolecules = High Yield, Metabolism = low yield. Definitely prioritize Macromolecules, then take Metabolism if you can.

I would also consider it easier to learn about metabolism after taking macromolecules, so you'll want to take that one first.

Definitely part B, metabolism. At least with the other ones you can learn it on your own, but with metabolism you really gotta have someone guide you through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would strongly suggest part A, macromolecules.

Metabolism is pretty doable to learn on your own if you are good with pathway thinking/ochem reactions. With macromolecules, I found that I had to be in class and pay attention because it seemed like there were a lot of little things to process, and the structure of a class really helped with that.

If you are not a systems thinker, I'd say forget everything I said and make sure to take metabolism on top of macromolecules, despite not wanting to stay longer.

erm.. I remember learning all the "macro molecule" stuff I needed in my cell biology class; in my case I probably would have taken the metabolism because that was brand new material

I don't understand. Is metabolism not considered to be a function of macromolecule structure? I mean when they teach beta-oxidation are they not going to review the structure of fatty acid molecules all over again before explaining how much energy can be extrapolated based on fatty acid chain length? I mean isn't the first part of the class essentially a review of Bio I and Chem I outside of Michelis Menten and Lineweaver Burke when it comes to enzyme inhibition and review of amino acids?