biochem in dental school?

Started by Gildan123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gildan123

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how much harder is biochem in dental school than in undergrad? or do they teach pretty much the same thing?
 
biochem is biochem no matter where you are...I think the majority of it depends on the instructor. With the volume of information you get in d-school...a really good biochem instructor helps. However, if he/she really really sucks..it wont be fun. It also helps if you go to a school that doesnt have many cumulative final exams...i envy those people.
 
Does d-school biochem go deep into all the metabolic pathways? It's been years since I had that and I'm thinking I should review it. Appreciate any input.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I heard, they use the same undergrad textbooks but the focus is different. They do cut out anything that is not related to humans (i.e. photosynthesis, etc...). They go into far greater detail.
 
I took a MS level Biochem course. The instructor said he ran it exactly like an med school/dental school biochem class.

We didn't spend any time on the metabolic pathways.

The class was more of a cellular biochem class. TONS of focus on DNA stuff and proteins.

Also, it was just understood that we memorized all the AAs and have taken cell bio.
 
Does d-school biochem go deep into all the metabolic pathways?

Mine did (TCA, anabolism and catabolism of fats, proteins, carbs, calculating # of ATP from certain amounts of glucose, etc). but it wasn't too bad.

It's honestly nothing you can't cram in a couple night before and do just fine with, seriously. Memorization of that stuff is best as you don't use it after dental school unless you do research, then you just look up what you need to know.

Gildan123: It can be hard, but depends on the prof (in my case profs) who teach the course. The nice thing is that this stuff doesn't change that much from year to year or book to book. So if you are really worried, just start going over the stuff. I nvr went to my class lectures and made A's in dental school biochem.

It's the little classes like Community dentistry that'll get ya.