Biochem in pod school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can some students comment on the biochem course(s) at their respective pod school? I believe most schools have one semester of biochemistry but I read that California (CSPM) has two semesters of biochem.

Is one at a major disadvantage if they did not take biochem during undergrad? I've taken a number of upper level classes in molecular, cell, cancer biology plus few years of research but never got a chance to do a biochem class.

Members don't see this ad.

Can some students comment on the biochem course(s) at their respective pod school? I believe most schools have one semester of biochemistry but I read that California (CSPM) has two semesters of biochem.

Is one at a major disadvantage if they did not take biochem during undergrad? I've taken a number of upper level classes in molecular, cell, cancer biology plus few years of research but never got a chance to do a biochem class.

I took biochem during my undergrad. however, I found it EXTREMELY boring :sleep: so it may be difficult for me based on my interest level. So taking an undergrad course may not help me at all.

For others, it may be different.

I did not take biochem in undergrad. I was very worried going into it. I would have to say it was the hardest course I took last year, but that may also have contributions from being the first med school course in the curriculum, and generally feeling overwhelmed. I wouldn't worry to much if I was you. It sounds like you have taken some good courses besides biochem. Good prep. DMUs biochem course is a lot of genetics and biomolecules (synthesis,etc), from what I remember. I would imagine it's similar at other places. I would say you're off to a good start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barry's biochem is two semesters (3cr, 3cr). The first semester is mostly protein structure, enzyme kinetecs, and metabolic pathways; the second semester is more of nutrition, genetics, hematology, etc.

The course is highly health care oriented and didn't go crazy on the chem aspect. The professor relates enzymes, molecules, pathways, hormones, etc to upcoming pathology and pharm whenever possible and gave a very nice foundational understanding of diabetes, gout, etc. The more related classes you take later, the more you appreciate biochem and the other early basic sciences. I liked biochem a lot and didn't find it terribly difficult in comparison to a couple other first year courses, but I did take biochem in undergrad and did well.

the biochem class at ocpm was taught by a Case western facculty member. He gives you the notes for the entire semester on the first day and he takes his time in explaining all the key concepts and mechanisms that you need to know. All the students love him because he's very helpful at breaking down large concepts. I personally had a biochemistry background from my undergrad so I was already at an advantage. However, most of my fellow peers did not but they still managed to do well - so I wouldn't worry over this class too much.

Though, I will say that a background of biochemistry and molecular genetics can be very helpful in school and board preparations.

I'm starting at AZPOD this fall and have the same concern. I checked some of the other threads to get an answer to this question. I had a business major in undergrad so my concern is biochem. I think most of the other classes are just memorization and aren't as difficult.

Although I don't have a good answer, my plan is to review biochem this summer using Lippincott's Review. I've gone through some of it and I've checked out a more in-depth biochem book, and the Lippincott's is MUCH easier to read. Hopefully it is more along the lines of what we'll be studying (since the allopathic threads seem to think so), but I'm not so sure.

I'm starting at AZPOD this fall and have the same concern. I checked some of the other threads to get an answer to this question. I had a business major in undergrad so my concern is biochem. I think most of the other classes are just memorization and aren't as difficult.

Although I don't have a good answer, my plan is to review biochem this summer using Lippincott's Review. I've gone through some of it and I've checked out a more in-depth biochem book, and the Lippincott's is MUCH easier to read. Hopefully it is more along the lines of what we'll be studying (since the allopathic threads seem to think so), but I'm not so sure.

My friend at azpod says it is light on the chemistry. Now, w/ his and my background, I don't know what that really means.
I took biochem in undergrad and loved it. There is a lot of biology to it, so if you like bio, you should be ok.
I did well, so if you want, you can sit by me; no cheating though :laugh: