biochem lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bajoneswadup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
biochem lab isn't required for enrollment in lecture @ my university, should i still take it?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't think of any med schools that explicitly require biochem lab (that's not to say that there aren't any).

Also, at my school, biochem lab is one of the more difficult courses so it might not do your GPA any favors.

My vote would be no.

My vote is "no" as well. Biochem labs can be pretty brutal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't think of any med schools that explicitly require biochem lab (that's not to say that there aren't any).

Also, at my school, biochem lab is one of the more difficult courses so it might not do your GPA any favors.

My vote would be no.

Johns Hopkins requires it.

At my university, biochem lab is to introduce chemistry majors to biology concepts such as PCR, DNA sequencing, cell culture, etc. So no, I wouldn't take it if I were you.

biochem lab isn't required for enrollment in lecture @ my university, should i still take it?

Like others have mentioned, biochemistry lab can be difficult, and can be detrimental to your GPA if you feel you can't attain an excellent grade therein. However, you should also take into account your future interests - for example, if you think you're going to be interested in a researched-focused career or just interested in doing lab research during medical school then biochemistry will be fundamental for teaching you laboratory techniques which are indispensable in much of research.

Like others have mentioned, biochemistry lab can be difficult, and can be detrimental to your GPA if you feel you can't attain an excellent grade therein. However, you should also take into account your future interests - for example, if you think you're going to be interested in a researched-focused career or just interested in doing lab research during medical school then biochemistry will be fundamental for teaching you laboratory techniques which are indispensable in much of research.

i am very interested in research, and i'm currently doing undergrad chem research, but i don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my gpa if it wasn't needed, because getting in medschool is numero uno. it sucks though because i honestly think i'd love the class.