Biochem online same time as ochem2/mcat prep, help fitting in prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariiiibar1021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior and this summer decided I want to pursue medical school instead of physical therapy. I am already taking a gap year, so I'm graduating May 2017 and hoping to start med school Fall 2018.. I have taken Bio 1, Chem 1 (this past summer), Stats, Psych, anatomy, physiology, and exercise physiology. I'm taking chem 2 next summer 2016. I just self studied chem and got a 52 on the CLEP test, my school needs a 55, and I have tried everything to get into ochem this semester, but it's not happening. Ochem 1 is only offered in the fall, so even taking chem II online over the winter somewhere just to get into Ochem isn't an option. With that, I'll have to take Ochem 1 & 2 fall/spring of senior year. Spring I'll also be studying for the MCAT, and I'll have to take biochem online at Colorado because they only require Ochem 1. Biochem is crucial for the new MCAT, so I'm hoping I'll be diligent enough to sit in on my school's lectures (assuming no schedule clashes) even if I'm not getting credit for it, because I don't know how well I'll learn the material via online.

Also is Ochem 2 necessary to understand biochem? Is taking it concurrently ok?

So spring senior year= ochem2, biochem online, and MCAT prep for mcat that May/June (september isn't an option for reasons that'd make this post too long).

I feel like I'm pretty screwed...but I was wondering if anyone had any words of encouragement, success stories to share, or advice? My gpa (so far) is high, but I'm worried I won't be able to do well on the MCAT with all these hurdles.

Many things are only offered 1 semester so that makes it more challenging.

On another note, I took stats 1 this summer, but should I take research methods? I heard the new mcat has a lot of analysis, what kinds of classes are useful for that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your physics or calculus? those are also required to even apply.

I'm taking physics now and took AP calc. Also taking bio 2 and cell bio now and will possibly take genetics with physics 2.

I really don't want to take 2 gap years for 1 class. Also on full scholarship but only for 4 years. I'd rather apply and then reapply if necessary, unless you are saying I really don't have a shot of doing well at the mcat. I'm asking if it's doable, although not ideal. I could also take ochem over the summer (community or university but in my home state not at my undergrad)by taking chem 2 online with home lab over the winter. But that looks bad. However it's obvious I'm trying to squeeze stuff in as I switched paths late, so maybe I'd get some slack? I don't know if that's more advise able than my current plan, or if my current plan is realistic at all. I know it'd be challenging, but it it realistic? For what it's worth I have a 3.8 and a 4.0 science, although I know I'm missing the harder classes so it's skewed right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, you lost me. If you are taking gen chem II this summer, why can't you take ochem I this fall? Then your pre-req schedule would look like this:

Junior Fall:
Ochem I
Bio 2 + lab
Physics I + lab

Junior Spring:
OChem II
OChem lab
Physics II + Lab

Senior Fall:
Biochem
Cell Bio/other bio
Psych

Senior Spring:
Genetics/other bio
Soc
Study for MCAT

Take MCAT in May/June, apply summer 2017, get a job for your gap year, and matriculate fall 2018.

If you can't take Ochem now but still want to matriculate Fall 2018, you may have to see if you can get permission to take biochem concurrently with OchemII or just skip Ochem II and take it during your gap year, as I don't think there is much from the second semester of ochem on the MCAT. I would not take biochem online. I also think studying for the MCAT while taking biochem and orgo II + lab together would be rough. You would be better served by pushing off applying for another year in order to fit in prereqs + MCAT.

Okay, you lost me. If you are taking gen chem II this summer, why can't you take ochem I this fall? Then your pre-req schedule would look like this:

Junior Fall:
Ochem I
Bio 2 + lab
Physics I + lab

Junior Spring:
OChem II
OChem lab
Physics II + Lab

Senior Fall:
Biochem
Cell Bio/other bio
Psych

Senior Spring:
Genetics/other bio
Soc
Study for MCAT

Take MCAT in May/June, apply summer 2017, get a job for your gap year, and matriculate fall 2018.

If you can't take Ochem now but still want to matriculate Fall 2018, you may have to see if you can get permission to take biochem concurrently with OchemII or just skip Ochem II and take it during your gap year, as I don't think there is much from the second semester of ochem on the MCAT. I would not take biochem online. I also think studying for the MCAT while taking biochem and orgo II + lab together would be rough. You would be better served by pushing off applying for another year in order to fit in prereqs + MCAT.

Because this summer 2015 is over and I took chem 1. I'm back at school now, already a junior. Taking chem 2 summer 2016 between junior and senior year.

I also thought not much of gen chem 2 was in ochem but I have not been able to get an exception. Then, week ago I found out about CLEP tests, self studied chem 2 for almost a week and got a 52 (passing is 50 but my school says 55, and they still won't budge, even though I'm not trying to get credit for the class but just get into ochem). So I don't think they'll be lenient for biochem unfortunately.

It sucks how a few points, probably 1 question worth, are making this much impact on my future.

*Reread my original post and I see where my wording was misleading. Corrected it.

Because this summer 2015 is over and I took chem 1. I'm back at school now, already a junior. Taking chem 2 summer 2016 between junior and senior year.

I also thought not much of gen chem 2 was in ochem but I have not been able to get an exception. Then, week ago I found out about CLEP tests, self studied chem 2 for almost a week and got a 52 (passing is 50 but my school says 55, and they still won't budge, even though I'm not trying to get credit for the class but just get into ochem). So I don't think they'll be lenient for biochem unfortunately.

It sucks how a few points, probably 1 question worth, are making this much impact on my future.

*Reread my original post and I see where my wording was misleading. Corrected it.

Ah, okay. I would take chem II this spring rather than over the summer. I would still ask about getting bumped into biochem after ochem I. I can see why they wouldn't want you to skip chem II, as knowing about thermodynamics/kinetics is important, but I know a few SDNers have taken biochem before or concurrently with ochem II.

Physics is not required to apply and calculus isn't even required to matriculate at almost every school.

Also remember that many schools require biochem but many schools also do not accept online courses for prerequistes
Oh, I didn't even think about the online thing. I just found local university that lets you do ochem 2 concurrently with biochem. Maybe I'll graduate a semester early and enroll as a non-degree student there spring 2017. Annoying because I have a full ride here for 8 semesters, but I can look into that. Although it'd be super expensive.

Ask your schools of intent (you know you have them) local or in-state make sense since they will save you money in the long run, if they have problems with on-line classes, if not, get that offer in writing which the admissions office will do if you are serious about their program. I don't know about the "new" MCAT, but OChem 1 should prove sufficient to understand and master biochem 1.

This is all a game - all pieces need to be in play, and if you've verified and confirmed that your pieces meet their pieces, the only variables left are the humanities and your damned scores - both of which you need to deal with.