BioChem or Micro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almo88

double frick
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next semester I'm taking 2 science classes. I've already decided to take Physiology but I can't decide if Micro or BioChem would help me more with the MCAT. I'm taking it next April, BTW. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Next semester I'm taking 2 science classes. I've already decided to take Physiology but I can't decide if Micro or BioChem would help me more with the MCAT. I'm taking it next April, BTW. Anyway, thanks for the input!

I just wrote MCAT yesterday. I believe microbiology helps you much more compared to the biochem course. You will learn some biochemical pathways in general micro courses. Plus, lots of passages nowadays *;) * contain lots of molecular bilogy. I am a microbiology major, and let me tell you that I really liked Biological sciences section yesterday. I'll let you inferrrr:) :)

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took the MCAT yesterday and enjoyed seeing Micro and even some Virology-(-thank god I am taking that course right now!!) on the test. I hope my score reflects that!!! I am a little biased, however, as I am a Micro major. I have also taken Biochem as it is a pre-req for some med schools and is also a med school course. I do believe a background in both courses will help you in med school as they are both classes you will have to take. Is there any way you could fit both into your schedule???

biochem. It's not necessarily for the facts you'll learn, but rather the critical thinking skills you gain from that class.

ditto on biochem. a lot of the bio has a basis in biochem so knowing the key principles of biochem and themes will allow you to better understand bio and be able to answer the questions.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sadly, it's really still up in the air, since you guys are about 50/50. Let me just say that I intend to take both before I graduate, because I know that BioChem is very helpful for med school. Anyway, if you have any more comments, don't hesitate. Thanks again!

if you're going to take both first, take the micro class for MCAT and then biochem. Biochem isn't going to help you as much as micro as I've had many bio questions covered via my 2 micro classes that saved my butt. I had NO biochem information that wasn't conveyed to me outside of my organic chemistry/quantitative chem classes.

if you're going to take both first, take the micro class for MCAT and then biochem. Biochem isn't going to help you as much as micro as I've had many bio questions covered via my 2 micro classes that saved my butt. I had NO biochem information that wasn't conveyed to me outside of my organic chemistry/quantitative chem classes.

Great! Thanks a lot!

It's a tough call. I think I saw more micro than biochem on the 2 administrations I took this year, but you never know what they'll throw at you.

It's a tough call. I think I saw more micro than biochem on the 2 administrations I took this year, but you never know what they'll throw at you.

So true! I think I'll go ahead and take Micro, it will fit pretty well into my schedule. Especially since I'm taking Physiology at the same time!

Thanks for all the input, guys! I really appreciate it!