Biochem or no Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedRaider19

Class of 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation - I am a sophomore and I need 3 hours of chemistry to complete my minor. It is currently between Biochem I and Analytical Chemical Methods. The Biochem professor that is teaching it this semester is infamous for having the worst grade distributions of any upper level chem class. (Less than 5% A's and more than 70% drop/fail). Analytical chemical methods seems interesting, and the class description mentions that the class focuses a lot on methods used in the biomedical and medical fields. (And the grades are quite favorable). I could wait another year and hope that someone else teaches biochem as well. Anyone have any opinions? I know that biochem is pretty big in medical school, and will not taking it as an undergrad hurt me too severely?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Analytical really doesn't follow the path that your future is headed. I took both classes. Biochem was both more enjoyable for me and also easier. I would recommend biochemistry and possibly wait a year for a better professor.

This sounds a lot like my school, what is your undergrad institution?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in Biochem right now and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It finally connects everything you have been learning and makes it biologically relevant since it is all working in a living system. It also is currently helping me a lot while studying for the MCAT BS section.

Haven't taken analytical, but never had a desire too. I am a Chem minor also and took Biochem I to complete it. I want to take II in the fall even though I don't need it but unfortunately Immuno was scheduled at the same time.

Maybe you can you take biochem over the summer at a different school and transfer the grade to your usual school.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will just wait until next year and take it, hopefully with a better professor. Unfortuantely taking it in the summer isn't really an option right now, but that is a good idea Mobius.
And if you can't guess my institution based on my screen name you definately don't go to the same university :)

I never took any chemistry above orgo, and it hasn't hurt me at all. I didn't want to nor did I need to take biochem. Take analytical.

I never took any chemistry above orgo, and it hasn't hurt me at all. I didn't want to nor did I need to take biochem. Take analytical.

Well seeing as to how you still have pre medical status you may very well not KNOW if it has had a negative impact on you or not...
Much love young grasshopper

Well seeing as to how you still have pre medical status you may very well not KNOW if it has had a negative impact on you or not...
Much love young grasshopper

I'll change my status when I start in August, so yes I can say it didn't hurt me at all :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Thanks for concern there boss.

Do the Biochem if you can. Some schools may actually require some Biochem so check with those that you'd be applying to, you may not have a choice.

Understand your hesitation with the professor though. At my university I took I and II with who turned out to be probably the hardest biochem professor at the time. Incidentally he turned out to be one of the nicest and best professors I've had, but he expected a LOT out of the students and the tests were literally ~10 pages of open answer problems.

So take it if you think you can do well, or just make the decision to work extra hard in that class.

If you're applying to schools that don't require Biochem you may check with your university and see if another department offers a sort of Intro to Biochem/Metabolism type of class. Our exercise science/social science dept offered a Metab sort of class that was more big picture related to nutrition than memorizing every little enzyme and pathway. That would be fairly useful as in med school you'll learn the biochem details that are important clinically, but it's very nice to be comfortable with the overall picture of metabolism and fuel usage in the body.