Biochem Q, nomenclature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is acetyl CoA the same thing as acyl Coa?

Members don't see this ad.

acetyl = 2 carbon
acyl = n number of carbon

I think acetyl Coa is refering specifically to the 2 carbon CoA citric acid cycle intermediate, while acyl Coa refers to any longer carbon chained CoA (such as a fatty acid that has been thioesterefied in preparation for beta oxidation).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. SO, acyl and acetyl just refer to the number of carbons attached to the CoA. What about acetoacetyl Coa? Is this an acyl Coa? How many carbons?

I think (and if I'm wrong a neurotic predmed/gunner please correct me) that acetoacetyl CoA is 2 acetyl CoA molecules condensed, and is the one of the major reactants in cholesterol synthesis

To follow up on what andiluvsk said:
Acetoacetyl CoA is the condensation product of two acetyl CoA molecules and an intermediate along the pathway to the ketone bodies. The condensation of acetoacetyl CoA with a third acetyl CoA molecule yields HMG CoA. HMG CoA is reduced to mevalonic acid in the synthesis of cholesterol. It is this reduction step that is regulated in cholesterol production.