You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
New Sketchy Biochem
Started by slowthai
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
View attachment 316910
Roll out the red carpet, sketchy is here! Let's hope they don't pull a sketchy path and they give us Andrew.
Yeah, really don’t like sketchy path.
Yeah, really don’t like sketchy path.
Yeah, I feel like path isn't really suited for it for the most part. Path is much more mechanism heavy and sketchy is better for more pure memorization subjects like micro. But I think it's got some utility with the vasculitides and the million different cancers at least.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I feel like path isn't really suited for it for the most part. Path is much more mechanism heavy and sketchy is better for more pure memorization subjects like micro. But I think it's got some utility with the vasculitides and the million different cancers at least.
Yeah, the videos are just waaaay too long with way too many things to try to memorize, and like you said, learning the mechanisms is actually way more helpful and efficient.
Have you tried watching step 2 stuff ? Any good ?View attachment 316910
Roll out the red carpet, sketchy is here! Let's hope they don't pull a sketchy path and they give us Andrew.
Have you tried watching step 2 stuff ? Any good ?
Nah, haven't. Like I've said before, I think the name of the game for step 2 is less is more, meaning UWorld + Anki, nothing else. I really don't see what more they could be adding on the bugs and drugs side because they already did it with sketchy micro/pharm. I feel like they're honestly capitalizing on the sketchy brand to make a little change, lol.
So if you have access and Time, do you mind watching a video or two , and tell us what’s it’s like ? I don’t have access to step 2 stuff , but if they are good , I might invest in itNah, haven't. Like I've said before, I think the name of the game for step 2 is less is more, meaning UWorld + Anki, nothing else. I really don't see what more they could be adding on the bugs and drugs side because they already did it with sketchy micro/pharm. I feel like they're honestly capitalizing on the sketchy brand to make a little change, lol.
Have you tried physeo ? Is it good ?Looks like they felt threatened with Pixorize for biochem and maybe Physeo lol. Hopefully they're not 30 min long episodes like Sketchy Path and IM.
So if you have access and Time, do you mind watching a video or two , and tell us what’s it’s like ? I don’t have access to step 2 stuff , but if they are good , I might invest in it
Sorry, I don't have access.
Looks like they felt threatened with Pixorize for biochem and maybe Physeo lol. Hopefully they're not 30 min long episodes like Sketchy Path and IM.
I did not like pixorize at all. The extremely offensive sketch on Tay-Sachs aside, all the images were so lame and not memorable at all for me.
Looks like they felt threatened with Pixorize for biochem and maybe Physeo lol. Hopefully they're not 30 min long episodes like Sketchy Path and IM.
Apparently they're 8-12 minutes
Have you tried physeo ? Is it good ?
I thought it was pretty underrated and helpful for going in-depth on some first-year concepts that B&B glosses over. Plus they have some of their own sketches for a couple bugs and drugs Sketchy doesn't cover. However I just checked and they're way more expensive now, so idk if I would buy it again at the current price. Seems like they're tapping into path and trying to be a comprehensive resource for what it's worth.
I did not like pixorize at all. The extremely offensive sketch on Tay-Sachs aside, all the images were so lame and not memorable at all for me.
Yeah I never used it but the class below me does a bunch apparently. Crazy how just one year changes the board resource game
Have you tried watching step 2 stuff ? Any good ?
Complete and total disaster. They're not even unhelpful, they're legit bad. They totally lost touch with why their earlier stuff was actually useful. They decided to stop curating the most important stuff and instead tried to become a full on lecture. The narration now sounds almost like someone reading from a textbook and often involves just long lists of nonspecific symptoms. The memory hook visual format is totally unsuited for this. Average video has roughly 100+ symbols per image and the symbols are awful. What a fall from grace.
Most of the curation for their earlier stuff had been already done by 1st aid. Without that I think they flopped.
so i am a VERY visual person. I love sketchy, it is like a freaking miracle for me, but i only have access to the old videos, - not biochem. buying full preclinical sketchy just for biochem.. (well, and i guess, i could use their questions) seems a bit wasteful... Not sure.They do have about 40 videos on biochem though. But is something like 200 bucks for 6 months.I thought it was pretty underrated and helpful for going in-depth on some first-year concepts that B&B glosses over. Plus they have some of their own sketches for a couple bugs and drugs Sketchy doesn't cover. However I just checked and they're way more expensive now, so idk if I would buy it again at the current price. Seems like they're tapping into path and trying to be a comprehensive resource for what it's worth.
Yeah I never used it but the class below me does a bunch apparently. Crazy how just one year changes the board resource game
Physeo looks pretty good, especially since they have cards (pictures) and lectures as well.... Wonder if it is worth it.
i already have B&B and pathoma. for anki i am working through cheesy lightyear deck. So i am happy with anki.
What do you guys think?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought it was pretty underrated and helpful for going in-depth on some first-year concepts that B&B glosses over. Plus they have some of their own sketches for a couple bugs and drugs Sketchy doesn't cover. However I just checked and they're way more expensive now, so idk if I would buy it again at the current price. Seems like they're tapping into path and trying to be a comprehensive resource for what it's worth.
Funny. Some people call Physeo the Pathoma of phys. Now they're really trying to replace BnB. This is just perfect honestly, just more options to be able to ignore lecture with.
wow.... ok. since you feel so strongly about it, i will actually trust you on this....Complete and total disaster. They're not even unhelpful, they're legit bad. They totally lost touch with why their earlier stuff was actually useful. They decided to stop curating the most important stuff and instead tried to become a full on lecture. The narration now sounds almost like someone reading from a textbook and often involves just long lists of nonspecific symptoms. The memory hook visual format is totally unsuited for this. Average video has roughly 100+ symbols per image and the symbols are awful. What a fall from grace.
Most of the curation for their earlier stuff had been already done by 1st aid. Without that I think they flopped.
so i am a VERY visual person. I love sketchy, it is like a freaking miracle for me, but i only have access to the old videos, - not biochem. buying full preclinical sketchy just for biochem.. (well, and i guess, i could use their questions) seems a bit wasteful... Not sure.They do have about 40 videos on biochem though. But is something like 200 bucks for 6 months.
Physeo looks pretty good, especially since they have cards (pictures) and lectures as well.... Wonder if it is worth it.
i already have B&B and pathoma. for anki i am working through cheesy lightyear deck. So i am happy with anki.
What do you guys think?
The way I'm doing it is using the tried and trues (Pathoma, BnB, sketchy micro/pharm) for primary learning and then using other resources (Physeo, Pixorize, and/or sketchy biochem) to hammer weaknesses prn. Like let's say I suck at renal. If I find a pass through BnB renal to be inadequate, then I'll hit Physeo renal.
did you sign up for physeo? or you use free version? whats the difference in the types of things you get access to?The way I'm doing it is using the tried and trues (Pathoma, BnB, sketchy micro/pharm) for primary learning and then using other resources (Physeo, Pixorize, and/or sketchy biochem) to hammer weaknesses prn. Like let's say I suck at renal. If I find a pass through BnB renal to be inadequate, then I'll hit Physeo renal.
did you sign up for physeo? or you use free version? whats the difference in the types of things you get access to?
Nope, I haven't signed up for it. I'll only do it if I need to. The hope is that I won't have to, lol
wow.... ok. since you feel so strongly about it, i will actually trust you on this....
It's because I feel a bit betrayed after riding the high of sketchy micro and pharm in MS2.
If you don’t mind me asking - what year are you ?It's because I feel a bit betrayed after riding the high of sketchy micro and pharm in MS2.
View attachment 316929
If you don’t mind me asking - what year are you ?
MS3 - just a few months in. Just finishing IM and getting ready for the shelf currently. My holy trinity of MS2 was the standard pathoma, sketchy and B&B. I've been trying to find something to replace it but is nothing quite up to that caliber.
Awesome . So did you feel like these three resources were enough ? Hey do you mind if I PM you about step prep ? I have a very specific short questionMS3 - just a few months in. Just finishing IM and getting ready for the shelf currently. My holy trinity of MS2 was the standard pathoma, sketchy and B&B. I've been trying to find something to replace it but is nothing quite up to that caliber.
Awesome . So did you feel like these three resources were enough ? Hey do you mind if I PM you about step prep ? I have a very specific short question
Sure thing! Happy to tell you about what worked for me. But yeah my basic work flow that I settled on in MS2 was pretty much the conventional internet wisdom.
Pathoma and sketchy for first pass (took notes) --> unlock respective cards in anking zanki --> Boards and beyond for second pass and physiology review (add new info to pathoma and sketchy notes) if needed --> USMLE-RX for practice questions --> Uworld as exam approached (added good explanations into my notes)
I decoupled from my school lectures entirely but actually ended up doing better MS2 than MS1 and felt really prepared for Step 1 going into dedicated. The notes I wrote from consolidating everything above we're amazing resources for me in dedicated which let do content reviews really quickly in dedicated. I ended up with a 248 which was just 2 points shy of my goal but I'm not complaining.
Btw what specialty are you considering?Sure thing! Happy to tell you about what worked for me. But yeah my basic work flow that I settled on in MS2 was pretty much the conventional internet wisdom.
Pathoma and sketchy for first pass (took notes) --> unlock respective cards in anking zanki --> Boards and beyond for second pass and physiology review (add new info to pathoma and sketchy notes) if needed --> USMLE-RX for practice questions --> Uworld as exam approached (added good explanations into my notes)
I decoupled from my school lectures entirely but actually ended up doing better MS2 than MS1 and felt really prepared for Step 1 going into dedicated. The notes I wrote from consolidating everything above we're amazing resources for me in dedicated which let do content reviews really quickly in dedicated. I ended up with a 248 which was just 2 points shy of my goal but I'm not complaining.
Btw what specialty are you considering?
Strongly leaning towards psych, possibly child psych fast track. I also like EM but the irregular schedule is a big snag for me.
psych is very interesting. I did it in the army for a while, - as a technician, of course. fascinating field. Just curious, - peds psych is fellowship on top of regular psyche residency?Strongly leaning towards psych, possibly child psych fast track. I also like EM but the irregular schedule is a big snag for me.
Sketchy biochem would be disastrous. I remember the Methotraxate/5-FU video in sketchy pharm and how they spent like 8 minutes on the simple reaction mechanism making it more convoluted with pictures about dumplings etc.
Has anyone actually watched any of the biochem?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
and NOW i am hungry.... ahhhh.....Sketchy biochem would be disastrous. I remember the Methotraxate/5-FU video in sketchy pharm and how they spent like 8 minutes on the simple reaction mechanism making it more convoluted with pictures about dumplings etc.
i signed up for a free trial, and there is a biochem video available that you can watch for free. will try later today.Has anyone actually watched any of the biochem?
All I wanna know is where is the accompanying PDF. I know the AnKing folks are already working on a deck.
D
deleted954943
It's the girl again...View attachment 316910
Roll out the red carpet, sketchy is here! Let's hope they don't pull a sketchy path and they give us Andrew.
Far removed from Step 1 and not familiar at all with Pixorize, but am just curious as to what was so offensive.I did not like pixorize at all. The extremely offensive sketch on Tay-Sachs aside, all the images were so lame and not memorable at all for me.
Far removed from Step 1 and not familiar at all with Pixorize, but am just curious as to what was so offensive.
The pictures of the Jews were really unflattering.
Fair enough.The pictures of the Jews were really unflattering.
Oddly enough, I recently complained to Sketchy about a problematic scene in one of their videos. They offered a complimentary 6 month SketchyUltimate subscription for me to point out more of those scenes as they update material
Problematic how? Incorrect info?
Oddly enough, I recently complained to Sketchy about a problematic scene in one of their videos. They offered a complimentary 6 month SketchyUltimate subscription for me to point out more of those scenes as they update material
Nice! Glad you spoke up!
Problematic how? Incorrect info?
They have a scene in one of their videos that depicts the only African-American student in the class as a "player". He simultaneously courts two other white girls who are ready to hurt him in response as a way to remember a drug's side effects.
I accept that Sketchy's picture-making is crude so that annoying details stick, but as a future black physician.. it struck me the wrong way. I hope they find more ways to make memorable content without aiding some unconscious biases to my Sketchy-consuming future colleagues 🙄
D
deleted1005514
I watched one video with her and that was enough for me. Too many snide side comments instead of focusing on the sketch.It's the girl again...
I watched one video with her and that was enough for me. Too many snide side comments instead of focusing on the sketch.
The girl I don’t mind. It’s the guy who annunciates every. Single. Syllable. And talks slow as **** that bothers me.
D
deleted1005514
The girl I don’t mind. It’s the guy who annunciates every. Single. Syllable. And talks slow as **** that bothers me.
Which ones does he do? I’ll admit I usually watch them at faster than 1x, so I might not notice. The sketches don’t do me much good anyway until I add anki to beat it into my brain, so I’m just watching them for context.
Which ones does he do? I’ll admit I usually watch them at faster than 1x, so I might not notice. The sketches don’t do me much good anyway until I add anki to beat it into my brain, so I’m just watching them for context.
I agree with this. As an lolnotacop/Zanki pharm user, I find that the videos are worth less than the sketches themselves (especially micro), but they're useful for context and phys (for pharm). I really don't remember much of the stories, but I do remember the images, which is obviously what matters at the end of the day.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which ones does he do? I’ll admit I usually watch them at faster than 1x, so I might not notice. The sketches don’t do me much good anyway until I add anki to beat it into my brain, so I’m just watching them for context.
I don’t remember. I think path maybe? I don’t even watch the videos anymore. I just do the anki.
D
deleted1005514
I don’t remember. I think path maybe? I don’t even watch the videos anymore. I just do the anki.
Ohhh, I'm not in path yet. I see I have something to look forward to. 😉
Ohhh, I'm not in path yet. I see I have something to look forward to. 😉
Ha. Yes. I don’t really like sketchy path. Sketchy pharm is a little better but I don’t super like that either.
Keep the thread on topic and avoid personal attacks. A post has been deleted for being off topic and attacking another user. This thread is not about race or the legitimacy of being offended by things.
Keep the thread on topic and avoid personal attacks. A post has been deleted for being off topic and attacking another user. This thread is not about race or the legitimacy of being offended by things.
I was about to respond to that and wondered what happened to the post.
Weird that’s what set the guy/gal off but okay.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 26
- Views
- 27K