BioChem v 7 year med program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubs41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that the Med school that I am attending has quite a few 6 year med students starting there this year. I have never taken BioChem before so will I be in trouble competing with these students that are also starting with me ?. Anything I can do to prepare before school starts ?. Thanks

scrubs

Members don't see this ad.

i don't see the relevancy of how 6-year program students have to do with your biochem insecurities.
chances are that the people who are going to know more biochem will be the other traditional students that will be joining you (and have had previous biochem coursework).
i guess if you are disciplined and masochistic, you can simply borrow a friends biochem book and start on page 1... stryer, voet n' voet, and van holden, are popular books to check out.
i found this book called "basic concepts in biochemistry"..it's thin and potentially readable in a summer. (if you are masochistic, again.)
i think you'd be better off partying your butt off now, and save that anxiety-workaholicism for when you actually take the course in school.
goodluck-

This summer I am going to completely turn my self into a bonafide Bum on a carefree mission - to slackerdoom.
I am stripping every single trace of pre-mednitis before starting this August.
After this summer - Life will never be the Same. (Until next summer :D *fingers crossing*).

No matter how much suffering you might receive because you're sortof behind, leave it for August. Because there is no way you would be able to catch up - Instead you'd be throwing away your summer'02
ANyway, if you're adamant about it-Nuclear rabbit listed some good Biochem books

:cool:

Scrubs,
You have nothing to fear from the 6 and 7 year people at Miami. Most of them haven't taken biochemistry before. The 8 years, like myself, are the ones which are most likely to have taken biochemistry at UMiami undergrad. Our book was Stenesh's Biochemistry, which is a 3 volume book on everything covered in a biochemistry course in medical school. Our class was taught by professors that teach at the medical school. It was really cool, but the learning had to be done pretty much on your own (the professors are useless). Don't worry too much about biochemistry though. It is a class that can be picked up pretty quickly. If you have any questions concerning UM's biochemistry or you just want to chill, feel free to PM me. I'll see you in August. :wink: