Biochem vs BS Bio Concentration Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gvs42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so my uni has a pretty sweet deal for biochem: I do not need to take physical chem with calc or physics with calc- I take upper level chem electives and bio electives as well as advanced biocem . I work in a lab and present a topic and learn lab skills

My uni also has a BS in Bio with a concentration in neuro which also sounds quite amazing ( I can take advanced biochem with it as well) I can also do a cell and molecular concentration as well but I figured I could do any grad school with a BS in bio ( I would like to get get a PhD if I do not get an MD because I enjoy research) if I do not get into med school the concentration is additive classes.

Could you let me know what you guys would do/ did?

Members don't see this ad.

Could you clarify your question? You mean which is a better route for PhD if MD doesn't work out?

Could you clarify your question? You mean which is a better route for PhD if MD doesn't work out?
Yes . And also if you had any experience with upper level biochem courses

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes . And also if you had any experience with upper level biochem courses
You know I can't say I know much about PhD programs but I was under the impression that you could go for a PhD in Bio even with a biochem BS. I'll leave it to wiser SDNers on that point but overall I'd suggest going for the degree that matches the classes you're most excited about. Both are fine and very common in MD admissions. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "if I do not get into med school the concentration is additive classes." Wish I could be more helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
The PhD, even if its your plan B, should really be in an area of study that you see yourself enjoying for the rest of your life. But to answer your question, I think that doing biochem with neuro-heavy bio electives will be the most versatile option. Regarding upper level biochem courses, they are a lot of work and require you to have a strong understanding of their prereqs. This is especially true for biochem labs. You did mention that you don't need to take physical chem or calculus based courses, so your overall experience may end up being different. In any case, it might be a good idea to leave some space open your senior year to take p-chem and an advanced calc (or biostats) class. By that time you will have a better idea of what your chances for medical school are. If things are looking good, you can just drop those courses and not worry about your GPA being affected. If you end up going the PhD route, you'll still be on track as those classes are pretty standard for top tier grad schools. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You know I can't say I know much about PhD programs but I was under the impression that you could go for a PhD in Bio even with a biochem BS. I'll leave it to wiser SDNers on that point but overall I'd suggest going for the degree that matches the classes you're most excited about. Both are fine and very common in MD admissions. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "if I do not get into med school the concentration is additive classes." Wish I could be more helpful.

My PI often mentions that it's much easier to go from a biochem BS to a bio PhD than it is a bio BS to a biochem PhD.

Edit: wording

Last edited:
The PhD, even if its your plan B, should really be in an area of study that you see yourself enjoying for the rest of your life. But to answer your question, I think that doing biochem with neuro-heavy bio electives will be the most versatile option. Regarding upper level biochem courses, they are a lot of work and require you to have a strong understanding of their prereqs. This is especially true for biochem labs. You did mention that you don't need to take physical chem or calculus based courses, so your overall experience may end up being different. In any case, it might be a good idea to leave some space open your senior year to take p-chem and an advanced calc (or biostats) class. By that time you will have a better idea of what your chances for medical school are. If things are looking good, you can just drop those courses and not worry about your GPA being affected. If you end up going the PhD route, you'll still be on track as those classes are pretty standard for top tier grad schools. Good luck!

thank you so much! if you could sum it up what would be the difference between cell and molecular bio and biochem?
thanks