Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvelocity514

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else had any helpful books/websites that helped them to do well in biochem. Our questions are board style on our test and we only have 1 final exam (70% of grade) after 4.5 weeks of material since we are block schedule (we are currently in biochem/genetics). I have Lippincotts and First Aid which I am reading, but certain topics are still giving me trouble (eg. like the fed/fasted state stuff - I know the basics like which pathways and what occurs during fed/fasted/starvation, it's just the little things on the questions that make me get the questions wrong like muscle catabolism doesn't contribute to hyperglycemia will trip me up because it produces glucose but doesn't put glucose in bloodstream).

We still have one more week of new stuff which includes cell cycle, cancer, and DNA damage/repair, so if anyone could suggest any other resources so that I can try and solidify that past stuff before the test, that would be great! Thanks for the help!

(Side note: I also know about http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org in case anyone else suggests it, or other students who are struggling with biochem are looking for another resource. This website goes into too much detail though for the clinical part we are supposed to know in this module but might help someone at another medical school if their class is requiring them to know a little more in depth. We revisit parts of biochem later in the year so might be helpful later on for us but not currently.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lippincott's Biochemistry is all you need for the course. I guess you could get Rapid Review Biochemistry -- by Goljan.

Reactions: 2 users
Lippincott's Biochemistry is all you need for the course. I guess you could get Rapid Review Biochemistry -- by Goljan.

I used Lippincott's when I took biochem. I used Rapid Review Biochemistry for Step 1. Both are very good reads.

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org was a great website in its early versions back when I used it in undergrad. Sadly, I think it's a little too bloated now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coursepacks + whiteboards OP

Course materials and RR biochem, from what I've heard, are the best

That book is great, but there are few subjects lacking in it such as coagulation factors etc... I am not sure RR biochem has these subjects as well...

That book is great, but there are few subjects lacking in it such as coagulation factors etc... I am not sure RR biochem has these subjects as well...
I thought that was weird too, especially considering that they covered basic heme stuff.

RR is a good choice. I prefer the outline format to BRS. In my opinion, the online questions are good, too.
RR Biochem I believe is based off of the Kaplan Biochem Notes -- when Goljan used to work for Kaplan.

Lippincott's Q&A (often way more than you need for NBME but good for class exams) + BRS Biochem questions (much closer to NBME, sometimes a little light for class exams) mastery can easily get you >90% on NBME subject exam, so if your exams are board style, there's your gold. Just go mine it.

Reactions: 1 users