Biochemistry as Inorganic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For most secondaries, is it okay to list biochemistry under "general and inorganic chemistry"?

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong I haven't taken biochem yet, but my understanding is that it falls more under organic chemistry category rather than inorganic.

Members don't see this ad :)
hoponpop.jpg

i'm gonna go ahead and disagree with every other relevant post on this thread and say that yes, you can put Biochem under Inorganic chemistry on secondaries. my take on schools asking you to list your "Inorganic Chem" was that they were asking for your Chem credits that you had taken for the "Other Chem" pre-reqs that weren't the ones you had taken for the "Organic" requirement.

this is of course confusing because, in the chemistry world as most of us know, "Inorganic Chemistry" is a very specific discipline, but one that most pre-meds never take anyway outside of studying lattice energy and the like in their gen chem courses. obviously these schools are not asking you to list your actual Inorganic Chemistry, as no school requires that you take Inorganic Chemistry, strictly speaking.

consider the following example: applicant has AP credit for 4 gen chem credits and is not a chem major. schools would rather see science pre-reqs taken at college than as APs, so when applicant applies to med schools, s/he lists the only chem taken as an undergrad: second semester of gen chem, two of orgo, and the semester of biochem recommended by pre-med advisor. the orgo meets the orgo requirement, 1 of gen chem + 1 of biochem meet the "gen chem" requirement.

if applicant had taken Inorganic, Quant Analysis, or PChem, any of those could have sufficed as well for the "second semester of general or inorganic chemistry."