Biochemistry v Molecular Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembleton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dumb question but what's the difference between the two?

I'm fairly certain I know what Biochem entails but what about Molecular Biology? Seems to be pretty much the same thing or at least there's some overlap, right? I can't find a detailed course description.

Gracias.

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry has to do with the pathways and chemical reactions that take place within the body. Molecular biology tends to focus more on the structure and relationships between the four main molecules in the body (proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, and nucleic acids).

In addition, molecular biology CAN cover other topics such as PCR or microbiology (to a lesser extent), whereas biochemistry is related to things like nutrition and enzyme deficiency. As you can see, they compose two unique pieces to the puzzle of the body. I hope this helps! :luck:

Pembleton said:

I'm fairly certain I know what Biochem entails but what about Molecular Biology? Seems to be pretty much the same thing or at least there's some overlap, right? I can't find a detailed course description.

Gracias.

You say potato, I say potAto .... potato, potAto.....tomato, tomAto ..........

Members don't see this ad :)
Pembleton said:

Gracias.

Way different. Molecular Biology is a genetics-focused course.

Biochemistry is a chemistry-focused course.

Molecular biology is a more general sounding term i suppose...everything is molecular biology anymore....its a catch all term..microbiology, botany, genetics, etc...all departments that use molecular biology.

Your school actually has a course called molecular biology?

Its probably what would be called a molecular genetics course here.

this would probably be orders of magnitude easier than biochem.

-There are those who study the known products of unknown genes. We call them Biochemists.

-Others study known genes with unknown products. These are Geneticists.

-Those who study the known products of known genes are called Molecular Biologists.

Then we have those who study the unknown products of unknown genes. These, we call Lunatics!

Source: http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~molbio/Courses/MBB_408_512/bonmot.html

From my experience at the university I attend, there is quite a bit of overlap. To major in either the requirements vary only a little. Biochem needs biophysical something, 2 semesters of biochem and 2 years of calc. Mol bio needs only 1 semester of biochem and more bio electives. I actually took a molecular bio course as well which was by far the most difficult and rigorous course I took as an undergrad (harder than biochem in this case). Many of the professors at this school who teach molecular and cellular courses happen to be biochem phd's.

Otherwise, the differences are as stated in previous posts.

Mol bio is pretty much explaining how the central dogma happens, in very very intricate detail.

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful.

Depending on you school's curriculum, there can be a lot of similarity.

Just last week I asked a recent Univ. of Michigan med grad about what electives I should take next (my senior) year in preparation for med school. Part of his answer included this:
"Biochem, including cellular/molecular biology (hard for me to separate those)"

As someone majoring in molecular biology, it is a glorified biochem degree. We are just specialized on nucleic acids.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, at uc davis, the major is called biochemistry and molecular biology. they must be pretty related if they are in the same major

My undergrad department was biochemistry & molecular biology. My graduate department was biochemistry and biophysics. The names say it all. Molecular biology is looking at the biology of molecules, normally DNA and RNA. Biochemistry looks at the chemistry of biology. My friends who were mobo's looked at what genes did. As a biochemist I looked at the mechanisms of how molecules did what they did, e.g. enzyme kinetics and DNA-protein interaction. The two fields are interelated and really two parts of a whole. But having said that I would never call myself a molecular biologist; cloning to me is just a painful ordeal but is a breeze to others. Now days I would call myself a physician :D , but before med school I called myself a biochemist or physcial biochemist.

The graduate programs in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Utah are very similar. Both programs have the same required classes.

i usually picture science in a left to right spectrum:

physics-chem-orgo-biochem/biophysics-mol.bio-physiology-behavior/psychology

Biochem is definitely more chemistry based than molecular bio. Biochem tends to go into more detail about the actual chemistry behind the systems that molecular covers. Molecular does cover stuff that isn't covered in Biochem though, because so much of Biochem focuses on the detailed chemical processes taking place in the body.

lfesiam said:
i usually picture science in a left to right spectrum:

physics-chem-orgo-biochem/biophysics-mol.bio-physiology-behavior/psychology

Nice!

OK, here's one that confuses me. What's the difference between microbiology and molecular biology? Is microbiology more like cell biology and organelles and stuff?

DianaLynne said:
Nice!

OK, here's one that confuses me. What's the difference between microbiology and molecular biology? Is microbiology more like cell biology and organelles and stuff?
Microbiology is about microbes - bacteria, fungi, etc. Molecular biology is about molecules in a living system and how these molecules interact with each other, such as DNA, Amino Acids, Enzymes. So in microbiology one my learn about the molecules that make up a microbe. In cell bio one my learn about the molecules that interact in a cell and outside of a cell.

DianaLynne said:
Nice!

in some places w/ separate cell & micro depts, cell ends up focusing only on eukaryotes (including fungi);
micro focuses on everything else.

I've seem places that pair up their micro & immuno depts.

Some places pair up cellular biology & developmental biology.

Some places pair up biochem & mole bio.

Personally, cellular biology means no P Chem (or P biochem... less misery...);
biochem means having to take P chem & P biochem.

reddirtgirl said:
Personally, cellular biology means no P Chem (or P biochem... less misery...);
biochem means having to take P chem & P biochem.

Speaking as a Biochem major who is taking second semester P-chem, avoiding it definitely would have saved some misery. I've also taken a Spectroscopy course and have the option of taking some analytical chem, but I go to a school with a department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, so the difference between the 2 majors is an extra semester of Biochem and the replacement of a few chem electives with Bio electives. We're doing the "molecular" secion of Biochem now (up 'til this point is has been mostly pathways), and it does seem like a lot of genetics. (We cover some molecular in biochem because we can't rely on the Bio dept to offer Molecuar Bio each year.) Personally, I'm looking forward to my Biochem elective next year, Biological Organic.