Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KHANSAHAAB

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most schools require a full year of biochemistry (i.e. 2 semesters) or half a year.

P.S. I know some of you may suggest looking at the school's website. Well some schools like NYU and others have not posted their academic requirements.

Thanks for all the responses

Members don't see this ad.

also i wonder what is meant by biochemistry, for example i took the following courses:
cell&molecular bio (we covered something on the structure of proteins and all the sections on dna->making of proteins in the loedish textbook, something like ch9-12)
cell metabolism-we covered glycolysis,respiration(used berne biochem text) and a lot of stuff on cell signalling and things like transport of macromolecules(again loedish).

but the biochem courses are next in sequence. i.e. one course is metabolic biochemistry, and the next is biochemistry of macromolecules. i wonder if i have to take those, since theyre not required for my major...

that is an interesting question. at my school, there is a biochemistry component of our introductory sequence (the third semester is biochemistry / physiology)

does that count at all towards the biochemistry requirement? or would i have to take the semester of biochem?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools dont require a biochem, although some require it if you dont take a second semester of organic. But I'd recommend taking it if possible, because you will have it in d-school. I"m taking it in the fall.

most schools do not require it. A few require one semester without lab.

Biochemistry is something that you probably want to take in college because the second time around you won't be bombarded with information that takes a while to sink in. There is a lot of information and if you know/have heard of it before it will be easier for you.

Yea exactly. Its one less bit of NEW material you'd have to learn in d-school. I"m taking a survery of biochem, which does not include a lab :thumbup: