Bioinformatics

Started by edawad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

edawad

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Anyone here in bioinformatics and care to share your background?

Thanks,

Ed
 
here's one!

Actually my undergrad school just introduced a bioinformatics degree this year (yeah this late 🙄 ) i double majored in biology & math with a few computer science classes here and there. my research emphasis right now is in protein analysis. i feel as though i'm veering into too much proteomics (it's all good though), but i still want to teach bioinformatics at the undergraduate level in the future....

ONE 👍
 
Hey

Are (were) you a bioinf PhD student? Anyone have experience applying to programs in the field? I'm an undergrad bioinf major doing some work on genetics, writing some programs to find best-fit evolutionary rate models (dn/ds) for a given tree using maximum likelihood. I find that pretty much all my time is spent programming. In my lab I don't really do any bench work because the sequencing is done elsewhere, but I was wondering in general do most bioinformaticians in academic research do primarily programming or a combination of wet/dry lab work? What's a typical day/week in your research like?

Thanks!
 
edawad said:
Hey

Are (were) you a bioinf PhD student? Anyone have experience applying to programs in the field? I'm an undergrad bioinf major doing some work on genetics, writing some programs to find best-fit evolutionary rate models (dn/ds) for a given tree using maximum likelihood. I find that pretty much all my time is spent programming. In my lab I don't really do any bench work because the sequencing is done elsewhere, but I was wondering in general do most bioinformaticians in academic research do primarily programming or a combination of wet/dry lab work? What's a typical day/week in your research like?

Thanks!
Every day,I must do bench work and read some papers. But i teach myself perl in my leisure time. i like programming.