sfnix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
BM, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
I realize this will probably depend on the school, but many of the post bac premed applications ask for an overall GPA and a "Hard Science/Math" GPA. Was wondering if i should incorporate Biological Anthropology courses into the "Hard Science/Math" GPA. The grades impact my GPA by 2 tenths of a point (in the wrong direction though 3.76 as compared to a 3.53). This is also somewhat embarassing considering I was an anth major and wanted to orginally do research in bio anth (specifically evolutionary anth). Has anyone had any experience with this when applying to post bac programs?

applying to programs for those who have taken none of the prereqs not GPA boosters, SMP, etc. etc. etc.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
im a bio and anthro major, and i dont think that it would be classified as a hard science. At your school, is it classified as ANTH or BIO? I would think bio anth would be considered "hard science" if you were applying to DO Schools, but as far as allopathic is concerned, bio anthro really wont have a place as a hard science since its probably not even remotely taught in the allopathic curriculum.

About the Ads
OP
S

sfnix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
BM, PA
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks guys, was wondering what everyone else was specifically interested in bio anth?

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Talk about waking the dead....

My school's anthropoloy dep't offers a course titled, "Human Behavioral Biology and Evolution"

Course description:

Introduces basic principles of evolutionary biology, animal social behavior, primate adaptations, human origins, genetic/hormonal/neural bases of behavior; and issues of human socioecology and adaptations. Discussions highlight nature-versus-nurture issues.
Now, is it possible for this course to be counted towards my BCPM GPA? Departmental suffixes don't show up on the transcript/AMCAS, correct? So, given the title and details of the course, shouldn't it count?

Thanks.

------------EDIT----------------

I did more browsing and found out that BCPM classifies courses based on course content instead of department. So, if I'm not mistaken, the class should, indeed, count towards the BCPM GPA?

nick_carraway

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Talk about waking the dead....

My school's anthropoloy dep't offers a course titled, "Human Behavioral Biology and Evolution"

Course description:

Now, is it possible for this course to be counted towards my BCPM GPA? Departmental suffixes don't show up on the transcript/AMCAS, correct? So, given the title and details of the course, shouldn't it count?

Thanks.

------------EDIT----------------

I did more browsing and found out that BCPM classifies courses based on course content instead of department. So, if I'm not mistaken, the class should, indeed, count towards the BCPM GPA?
These types of questions are better suited for the general pre-allo forum, but yes you're correct. You can choose not to enter the department in your AMCAS. The course number that they ask for can simply be that--the course number. They go by the title of the course and with a title like that, they'll count it as BCPM.

Try not to go off of the descriptions, however. AMCAS reviewers won't have a copy of the descriptions and even if you're right, you'll have to go through a lengthy petition process. Just make sure that your classification agrees with the title.

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Thanks. I know my question should have been asked in Pre-Allo, but I figured that it'd be fine since this thread suited my question. Anyways, thanks!

About the Ads