TheRealBaller06

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Do microbiology genetics and cell and molecular biology help a lot on the bio section of the mcat or can I wait to take them until after?

wanderingorion

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Genetics and cell/mole more than micro IMO

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Cell/Molecular is a huge part of the bio section and I can't remember how much genetics was there, but I would still try to take that before the exam

But, tbh, MCAT cell/molecular doesn't go beyond AP bio stuff, so if you took/remember AP bio, you could just use the MCAT review book

Mar 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You don't need to take a genetics for the genetics on the MCAT. Physiology is probably the most useful course if you're looking to take something for the MCAT

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
I would agree that, after a year of general biology, first semester biochem is most important. molecular biology, specifically dealing with genes and proteins, may help you but is not necessary

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I would agree that, after a year of general biology, first semester biochem is most important. molecular biology, specifically dealing with genes and proteins, may help you but is not necessary
Is there a difference b/w cell/molecular and a general bio sequence? At my school it was like "Bio 1- Cell/Molecular," "Bio 2- Genetics," "Bio 3- Physiology." That's the intro sequence and the only other cell/molec is grad-level.

OP, if you did learn cell/molec in a general bio course and you are asking about an advanced course, then ignore my previous post. An advanced course is not necessary. The bio on the MCAT is very basic and I thought you were saying that you never learned stuff like DNA replication, protein translation, etc and were wondering if you should take a course on that material or just teach yourself. As long as you've learned the very basics of cell/molec, you're covered

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
Is there a difference b/w cell/molecular and a general bio sequence? At my school it was like "Bio 1- Cell/Molecular," "Bio 2- Genetics," "Bio 3- Physiology." That's the intro sequence and the only other cell/molec is grad-level.

OP, if you did learn cell/molec in a general bio course and you are asking about an advanced course, then ignore my previous post. An advanced course is not necessary. The bio on the MCAT is very basic and I thought you were saying that you never learned stuff like DNA replication, protein translation, etc and were wondering if you should take a course on that material or just teach yourself. As long as you've learned the very basics of cell/molec, you're covered
it sounds like that is your general biology track; some schools do it in two semesters some do it in three - including mine.

The sequence at my school is Bio 1 - organisms, ecology, evolution; Bio 2 - molecules, cells, physiology; Bio 3 - genetics

so yes, that 3 sequence course sounds complete

EDIT:

However, don't forget that the new MCAT 2015 includes topics in a semester Biochemistry - usually a 300 or 400 level course that is different from gen bio.

masnerj

2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Most times schools do Bio 1 which is genetics and molecular biology, and then bio 2 which is like physiology and systems. Followed by biochem and upper level bios: genetics, physio, and micro though I don't think the upper level bios are required for the mcat tho I'm sure they help

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile