Biology I & II Prereq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemc2000

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would there be a major problem with taking Bio I & II the summer before Pharmacy School? This is assuming I can study enough to feel comfortable with the Biology portion of the PCAT. In your opinion would UF look at me poorly if I hadn't taken Biology yet when I apply? I have some issues which make taking biology this summer not very feasible, and at my age I don't want to put the whole thing off for another year. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

most schools i've looked at or applied to require that all science and math courses are done by the end of the spring term prior to entering into a pharmacy program in the fall. all non-science related courses can be finished in the summer prior to the first day of class in the fall.
biology is an important prerequisite so I would think they would want you to have the first two biology classes finished before being reviewed as a candidate. plus most schools require that you take more than just bio 1 and 2...ie microbiology, biochem, genetics, anatomy and physiology...etc.
you definitely will need bio 1 and 2 for the PCAT.
hope this helps...

how old are you that you feel that you dont want to spend an extra year to apply?

I will be 40 in June.

Biology is not a prereq for A & P at the college I go to. And even though they like those classes, microbiology, biochem, or genetics are not required for admission to the UF COP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would belly-up to the bar and take biology. Even if it's not written in ink, they are obviously looking for someone who's taken at least the basic sciences. I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by not taking them. Your PCAT would probably suffer as well. I'm kind of surprised that they don't require micro. The first college-level science class that I took was bio 1, so maybe I have a distorted opinion. Someone in my class mentioned taking Micro in 4 or 6 weeks over the summer before he was admitted. Maybe you could find Bio 1 this summer and finish it up in 4 weeks?

I've seen on this board before that when you apply to pharm school it's normal to be about 1-2 classes away from completing the pre-reqs. And then save those awful hard classes for last as well.
But what's difficult about your situation is those pesky PCATs if UF didn't require them, it would be easier to save BIO for last. College Bio is much different than H.S. bio -especially if the last time you had Bio was in the 80's. (as I'm currently taking bio now and finding that out).

I would think that you might be able to study ahead for the pcat even w/o the bios. Because I took it, while being half way through with bio 1, and made 82% in that section. It just took lots of time studying ahead. And when I applied, I still hadnt taken Bio 2 and micro, but still got interviews. Im in texas, maybe it's different elsewhere. I looked at UF's pre reqs and they state that the bio's are pre reqs along with AP's, am I looking at the wrong page?
http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/admission.pdf

That is the correct page, Amith. And that was my thought. I am going to try to take Bio I this summer, but I am trying to get a new job at a pharmacy. If it comes through, I do not know if they would want me to come in 3 hours late every day one month after I start. I figured I needed at least 2 months or so to make them love me. :laugh: I am researching online Biology courses as well. But as of now, the only Bio I class offered in summer term A is from 8 - 11, Monday through Thursday.

UF doesn't care which courses you have left to take. When I got accepted, I still hadn't finished Org II, Phys II, Anat I, and Anat II. They don't require micro, because they make you take it regardless. They do have a spot on their summary sheet to indicate whether you have take micro and/or biochem. You're not exempt, but it gives you a slightly better application to get in. It's kind of stupid because I'm in micro now and it is an easy A if you've already taken it.

I don't see a problem with leaving the Biology classes until the summer. I do recommend the audio learn tapes, though, if you take the PCAT before biology. They cover every part of biology that is on the PCAT.

I have no advice concerning the PCAT since I didn't have to take it :) but I got accepted before I had completed: Bio II, Physics I and II, Anatomy/Phys I & II, economics and Organic II (of those I took bio, physics I, anat I, and organic II during the spring and the rest during the summer).

I would try to take as many as you can DO WELL IN before applying but don't rule yourself out :)

REgarding: I have some issues which make taking biology this summer not very feasible, and at my age I don't want to put the whole thing off for another year. (Jemc2000)

Hi! I really am happy to see that you have not given up on what you really want to do despite your age. A lot of people think..."O...I am too old to start a new career, etc..) Just always do the best you can and everything will fall in place. You said "I don't want to put the thing off for another year.." No big hurry! Take your time....you have plenty of it! Best wishes!