biology pre-requisites for dental school admission.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaktarSaheb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I had question about biology requirements of the dental school admission. It says that two courses in biology. I took two biology courses with lab and I took both of them in my freshman year while I was at community college. The two biology courses I took was (Biology 127 cell biology and Biol 128 organismal Biology) now both of these courses are freshman level so do I need any upper level biology course since i took those at COMMUNITY COLLEGE. Did anyone out there did this and got in to dental school or how did dental schools replied to this. I have also taken Biochemistry (300 level) and I am taking Quantitative Cell Biology(where we use mathematical models with cell bilogy to understand cell from engineering perspective) but this class does not have lab also. So do you guys think that I need to go ahead and take some sophmore level biology class with lab at my university or should I just not bother to take another biology class becasue If I ahve to take it I will be taking at least 18 credits that semester due to my curriculum in engineering and I don't want to do it unless I have to do it. sorry for long post and Thanks in advance for reply

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in dental school, I'm only a lowly pre-dent, so take this with a grain of salt.

The schools I've been in communication with have all required pretty much the same classes, with minor exceptions. Some require, but most simply highly recommend biochem, psychology, microbiology, a business/econ class, foreign language, anatomy, physiology, histology, immunology.

However, they all seem to agree on 1 year (2 sequential semesters) of general biology (designed for science majors...not the intro type classes), general chemistry, organic chemistry, and english.

Obviously you should also be pretty good with your algebra, geometry, and trig.

So if it was me, I would check with my school and make sure that the biology sequence I took was for science majors. Then I would check my transcript and check off each of the required classes that I've already taken. Then I would map out a plan to take the ones that I still need, from the list above. The "recommended" courses would probably be left off of my plan if I was doing an engineering major...I would just do the requirements.

DaktarSaheb,

Besides what mmapcpro says you also have to consider something else, each school has different requirements. This means that some schools don't accept community college credits for the required courses at all, independently from whether they are the courses you need or not.

I think that you have to check with the schools you are going to apply to and see if these classes satisfy the requirements. Otherwise, you will have to take some other courses at your university.

Happy Friday!:clap: Let the weekend begin!:clap:

Go check with your advisor to see if they were the general intro type or for Bio majors. You have to have the Bio classes for the Bio majors. All things considered, after taking the classes you have, if you had to take the in-major versions, you should do fine with one each semester during your engineering classes. What type of engineer and what semester you in? If it's your junior year just concentrate on engineering. Senior year is typically pretty easy for engineering (in my experience).