Biology textbook by Audesirk, Audesirk, Byers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oblong

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exactly how good is the Biology: Life on Earth textbook by Audesirk, Audesirk, Byers? I am using the seventh edition by Audesirk, Audesirk, Byers because I already have it but the professor had recommended Campbell/Reece. Is Audesirk, Audesirk, Byers comprehensive enough for Bio-1 and 2? (I don't plan to major in Biology).

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Almost every comprehensive Bio text is going to have the same information unless it's really old.

I used Campbell & Reece. It's a good text, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a copy if I already had a different book.

Members don't see this ad :)
That book is usually used for non-science majors taking their required bio general education class. It's great for that, but not nearly as detailed as the one your professor is recommending. But if you are just taking a couple semesters of freshman biology it should be sufficient I suppose so long as your prof doesn't assign HW from the book or pull out very specific things from the book to test you on.

That's just my gut feeling, though... I'd check with your professor and see what he says.

Unless your professor assigns graded homework out of the book, I wouldn't bother getting another one. Most classes are taught straight from lectures anyways; I barely did any reading for science classes.

That book is usually used for non-science majors taking their required bio general education class. It's great for that, but not nearly as detailed as the one your professor is recommending. But if you are just taking a couple semesters of freshman biology it should be sufficient I suppose so long as your prof doesn't assign HW from the book or pull out very specific things from the book to test you on.

That's just my gut feeling, though... I'd check with your professor and see what he says.
Oh crap. I didn't realize that OP's text is for non-science majors.

I don't think that's gonna fly, and if it's the case, you definitely should get Campbell & Reece.

She said you don't really need any text for the class. So I suppose I can make do with the text I have. Her tests are straight from her lectures and copies of slides. She said students can get an A without buying any text. So my next question is, don't people need to read a textbook for the MCAT at least?

I used Campbell & Reece. It's a good text, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a copy if I already had a different book.

Is there a General Biology class in this country that doesn't use Campbell's Biology?

She said you don't really need any text for the class. So I suppose I can make do with the text I have. Her tests are straight from her lectures and copies of slides. She said students can get an A without buying any text. So my next question is, don't people need to read a textbook for the MCAT at least?

If she is willing to take the time to make lecture notes that contain all the pertinent information, be grateful! Most professors don't want to take the time to do that and make you buy and read expensive textbooks.

As for the MCAT, the class itself should be a sufficient base to work from. When it is time to study get a good MCAT review book. You don't want to study from a textbook as it would be major overkill for the MCAT and science texts don't teach you to think like the MCAT wants you to.

Is there a General Biology class in this country that doesn't use Campbell's Biology?

My university had a custom edition from Pearson... don't remember the name of the book. Gen bio is only 2 credits one semester, then most people take molecular bio followed by cell bio which both use Molecular Biology of the Cell (big red fat encyclopedia-type book).

You don't want to study from a textbook as it would be major overkill for the MCAT and science texts don't teach you to think like the MCAT wants you to.

Really? Do others agree?

Really? Do others agree?
Absolutely. The MCAT is pretty much all critical thinking type questions. You could read a textbook front to back and never gain the skill to think critically about what you've read.

You don't need a textbook for Bio unless your professor is mean and assign readings specifically out of it.

Mostly you'd need your lecture notes and your class reader.

I've used both, and tend to prefer Audesirk over Campbell. It's simply written better, although both have roughly equivalent information in the end. If your prof says a text isn't absolutely necessary, I'd stick with what you've got.

I've used both, and tend to prefer Audesirk over Campbell. It's simply written better, although both have roughly equivalent information in the end. If your prof says a text isn't absolutely necessary, I'd stick with what you've got.

Calvinball, where did you take your Biology? i.e. what school?