Biology vs. A&P for Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mport

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional student that is returning to college to get a degree in nutritional sciences and complete my pre-med requirements.

When I started this journey last year I thought I wanted to be a nurse, so I completed A&P 1 and 2. The medical school that I want to attend (Texas Tech - Lubbock) accepts Biology OR Anatomy for their Bio requirement. Do you think that I am okay sticking with my two A&P credits, or should I take the biology courses? I'll have some other strikes against me when I do apply, specifically a really terrible transcript from my first time at college, but I've grade replaced everything ugly am and on track now. I want to be as desirable as possible to med schools!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is Biology, or Zoology, AND 2 upper division biology classes for TTMS.

I'm a non-traditional student that is returning to college to get a degree in nutritional sciences and complete my pre-med requirements.

When I started this journey last year I thought I wanted to be a nurse, so I completed A&P 1 and 2. The medical school that I want to attend (Texas Tech - Lubbock) accepts Biology OR Anatomy for their Bio requirement. Do you think that I am okay sticking with my two A&P credits, or should I take the biology courses? I'll have some other strikes against me when I do apply, specifically a really terrible transcript from my first time at college, but I've grade replaced everything ugly am and on track now. I want to be as desirable as possible to med schools!

I think it is Biology, or Zoology, AND 2 upper division biology classes for TTMS.

Yes, this is correct. I should have specified that I was referring to the basic Bio/Zoology. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some medical schools specifically indicate that they will not accept substitutes for required courses.

Additionally, both AMCAS and TMDSAS do replace grades but will use all grades earned to calculate GPA. This would include the DO school at TCOM which uses TMDSAS. Only the DO schools using AACOMAS have a grade replacement policy for purposes of GPA calculation.

Thanks for the info. I was fearful that this was the grade replacement policy.

Make sure you understand, being from Texas is a double edged sword we have great tuition and schools and they have to take 90% in state for their matriculant pool but NONE of them will utilize grade replacement for GPA calculation and most have high GPA averages and above average MCAT scores.

So instead of retaking old classes that you made a low grade in, take higher level science courses instead.

As far as the A&P and Bio courses goes, why not take Bio? Also im pretty sure general bio is a pre req for some high biology courses. Which you will want to take if your GPA as lower.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you understand, being from Texas is a double edged sword we have great tuition and schools and they have to take 90% in state for their matriculant pool but NONE of them will utilize grade replacement for GPA calculation and most have high GPA averages and above average MCAT scores.

So instead of retaking old classes that you made a low grade in, take higher level science courses instead.

As far as the A&P and Bio courses goes, why not take Bio? Also im pretty sure general bio is a pre req for some high biology courses. Which you will want to take if your GPA as lower.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply! Retaking courses is the quickest way for me to be admitted to the UG nutrition degree program that I want, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.

Since last night I've been doing some 'what-ifs' with my degree program - for my nutrition degree I will have to take a few Biochem courses, which can count toward the upper-level biology requirement. BUT I'm not sure if I can count both biochem courses toward the upper-division biology requirement or not - any idea?

It looks like I should be able to finish my degree program in the Fall of 2018, and that's with me taking 20 hours a few semesters and summer school. Not sure how I would be able to fit in any more upper-level sciences.

Thanks for the reply! Retaking courses is the quickest way for me to be admitted to the UG nutrition degree program that I want, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.

Since last night I've been doing some 'what-ifs' with my degree program - for my nutrition degree I will have to take a few Biochem courses, which can count toward the upper-level biology requirement. BUT I'm not sure if I can count both biochem courses toward the upper-division biology requirement or not - any idea?

It looks like I should be able to finish my degree program in the Fall of 2018, and that's with me taking 20 hours a few semesters and summer school. Not sure how I would be able to fit in any more upper-level sciences.

Oh wow that is quite a load. Make sure you can balance your load and maintain a good GPA. Getting into med school is a marathon not a sprint.

It would depend if they can be classified uniquely under BCPM, otherwise I would assume so? May want to inquire further on that one.