Biology vs. Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdcd67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. So I was deciding between majoring in biology or biochemistry. I know it generally doesn't make a difference what you major in...but just wanted to know what would be more beneficial for the future.

I personally wanted to major in biology because that helps me complete my pre-pharmacy requirements as well...but my parents want me majoring in biochemistry (because biochem is said to have a higher value). (I fear taking biochem because then I would have to take physical chemistry, and I heard how difficult that class is....so I wanted to avoid it).

It is just a safety net just in case I don't get into pharmacy school. Any words of advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Either is great.

I once heard my physiology professor say that Pharmacy school is basicially getting a biochemistry degree. I'm sure its more than just a biochem degree, but I'm guessing biochem is more useful in pharm school?

Look at the advanced biology and biochemistry electives you can take and decide which sound more interesting to you. What your parents think shouldn't have a huge effect on what you do. I went with a BS in biology because I have an interest in plants and animals so the electives that I took were enjoyable.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should choose the major that fulfills most of the prereqs for pharmacy school. But if you want more of a challenge then u should major in biochem, since, like u said, it includes taking physical chemistry. The biochem major will most likely prepare you for pharmacy school becuz it requires more classes and some tough ones as well.

I might be biased though becuz I'm a biochem major. =) If u do choose biochem, dont worry too much bout p.chem... yes, its tough but choose the right TA n make lots of friends n u'll be ok ;)

I did biology because I enjoyed the field more. I liked biochem, and it is necessary for pharmacy, but so is gen bio, anatomy/physio, etc. Do what you want, not what your parents want. You're the one learning all the stuff. Either way, the material's relevent.

Biochem is the shiz.
Seriously though, I started out as a bio major and switched to molecular bio, then to biochem. The bio department at my school is not the best, and I found myself enjoying my chem classes a lot more. Biochem really is fascinating, if you like getting down to the nitty gritty! As someone with experience in both majors, I can say biochem is definitely more challenging, but if it is preparing me better for pharmacy school, then I'll take it!
I actually really liked pchem, and did well in it. Just needed to work harder than usual...it was a really neat class, very practical stuff. Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. The professor you have can make or break the class, though.
Just depends on what you want to do, really. I guess just start taking classes you'll need for both majors, and then see which way you start to lean.
Personally, if I ever decide I want to do something other than pharmacy (doubt it! haha), I'd rather have a biochem degree under my belt than just a bio degree. I think there's probably more you can do with it (or at least employers will think you can do more with it, lol), apparently it just sounds more impressive.
All things considered, you can get into pharmacy school with a bio degree or biochem degree, so neither option will hurt you.